Candidate for President: Grace Williams

Candidate for President: Grace Williams

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for Executive Board President and Homeroom Representative because I have a deep love and true passion for the student body at Mount Carmel Academy, and I want to make the 2021-2022 school year one we will never forget. Ever since I walked into Mount Carmel I felt the abundance of spirit and love for the school, and that quickly became a part of me as well. I know that there is something extraordinary about this school and I want to be a part of making it even better. I always knew I wanted to be a part of the student government and be a part of a community that loves the school as much as I do. Through fun activities, dances, and pep rallies, I want to come up with unique ideas to make the year to come the most exciting ever. The 2021-2022 school year has the potential to be a “spirit” record-breaking year and I want to be a part of the team that will make it happen. I want to make our next school year one we will remember, and if elected it will be our best chapter yet.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

If elected, I want to expand student government events and activities to all students. Increasing the number of student attendance at events, ensuring that every student feels included, and getting the student body excited will be a few of my goals. I also want to organize all student government activities and have the responsibility of being in charge of all events, along with the rest of the Executive Board. Being a leader has always been something that draws me in, and I love being able to plan and create for others. I want to make enjoyable memories that will bring joy to all students and members of the Mount Carmel community. I plan to continue incentives for attending Mount Carmel functions and I want to make sure all students know about upcoming events.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that describe me would be diligence, passion, and ambition.

Diligence: Growing as a person at Mount Carmel, I have learned that one of my qualities is being a diligent leader and student. I always make sure I am on time with my duties and get them done to the best of my ability. Growing up my mom would tell me, “if you are on time consider it late.” I try to live by this and make sure my tasks get done. I love using my time to plan and organize, and I love when I have a full schedule.

Passion: To be a leader, you have to be passionate about what you are doing. I have such a strong love for Mount Carmel and specifically the student body as a whole. I love being able to communicate information to my fellow students and be the person people come to for answers. Also, I want to take on a role that will showcase the strong love and passion I have for the student body at Mount Carmel. Being a leader and role model is what I have been called to do and if elected I am ready to take on that role.

Ambition: The last trait that best describes me would be ambition. An ambitious person is someone who has a strong desire to achieve something, and no other word could describe me better. I want our next school year to reach heights like never before, and I want to lead the student body in doing so. I will be ready with any task given to me, and most importantly will be ready to do it to the best of my ability.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

I have spread JOY to the students of Mount Carmel through my involvement in many extracurricular activities. As a member of the student council, ambassador team, and carmelette dance team I have spread JOY by being a shining light and kind-hearted person to all. I love telling people hi in the halls, being someone anyone can talk to, and mainly being involved in all school functions. As a homeroom representative, I enjoy celebrating my classmate’s birthdays and bringing the class treats every week (even with COVID-19 restrictions I have been able to fulfill all of my duties). Also, I love bringing light into the homeroom by making beautiful and colorful bulletin boards that can brighten anyone’s day. Lastly, I bring JOY to others through my faith life, and by living as one of God’s children every day. I do this by sharing life stories and “God moments,” with my CLJ group, attending Wednesday mass in the chapel, and going to confession at school. Through the years, I have grown in my faith life and love sharing the love of God with others.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I should be elected as Executive Board President/homeroom representative because I have worked diligently to grow in my leadership and I am capable of leading the student body. Through my four years at Mount Carmel, I have been a member of the student council, the ambassador team, the carmelette dance team, instrumental ensemble, MCCADD, TFL, and campus ministry. These clubs have taught me what it takes to be a leader, manage my time, and how to work well with others. Also, this year I attended GNO workshop. By attending this workshop, I improved my leadership skills and also met with other student council members from around New Orleans. We shared ideas, played leadership games, and discussed what it took to be a leader.

Some awards I have been given are Frosh Queen Court maid, outstanding member for instrumental ensemble, and outstanding member for Student Council. Also, I have been a bulletin board committee head for two years, working alongside the Executive Board Vice President, I was a sophomore retreat small group leader, and lastly, I have worked many new student events for ambassadors. Through all of these experiences, awards, and extracurricular activities I am ready and qualified to be your Executive Board President.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

Someone who is a “servant leader” is someone who serves others and wants to do something greater than themselves. I am a servant leader because I am selfless, willing to use my time to better the mount Carmel student body, and I want to achieve greatness through collaboration and hard work. As a member of the student council, I have always made sure my duties are done on time and they are done perfectly. I have also always been able to either achieve or go over our number of club points and committee events. Also, for the past two years, I have been a bulletin board committee head, where I work with the Executive Board vice president and help her with the organization of all bulletin boards. This shows that I can handle the extra work and responsibilities, and proves that I love to serve on the student council.

Lastly, I am usually always at school even after school ends for either clubs, getting things done with my homeroom bulletin boards, buying treats for my homeroom, or organizing something. I am not a person who can be still and do nothing, I have to be working or getting something done. This is another example of how I am a servant leader because I enjoy using my free time to better the Mount Carmel community.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

If elected as Executive Board President, I will be ready to tackle as many tasks as I am given. While the Executive Board is very time-consuming, I enjoy having a busy schedule and I have learned from the past 4 years that I can handle it. While being in 6 clubs I have learned good time management which allows me to complete a sufficient amount of work on time. I always balance my time for my extracurriculars and school, and I have been able to keep a fine GPA while having many things on my agenda.

Some strategies that I will use are having an agenda with all the important dates and information that I will use throughout the year. I also will be cutting down on some of the clubs I am in, and one club, in particular, is the Carmelette Dance team. I will continue my three-year journey on the team, but there will be limitations to what I can do so that I can have more time for the Executive Board.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

The student council is something very special and important to me, and I want to keep all traditions alive. The club is a family and we are all there to grow in leadership and help each other. It is a way to make new friends who have the same interests as you and a way to better yourself as a person. I want to maintain it’s your day, SLR, exciting pep-rallies, and involvement in holiday picnics. I love student council and want more than anything to lead this strong close-knit group.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Thinking about a year with no COVID-19 restrictions, I want to encourage student involvement, create an exciting theme for the school year, plan over-the-top pep rallies and winter formals, and lastly bring the student body together. As president, I want to be welcoming to not only student council students but to all students. I want to hear everyone’s ideas and consider everyone’s thoughts. I believe our Executive Board will work extremely hard and be able to accomplish the unimaginable.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

I spread JOY to the students of Mount Carmel through my involvement in many extracurricular activities and by being a shining light in our school. As a member of the student council, ambassador team, and carmelette dance team I have spread JOY by being a loving and kind-hearted person to all. I love telling people “hi” in the halls, being someone anyone can talk to, and mainly being involved in all school functions. As a homeroom representative, I loved celebrating my classmate’s birthdays and bringing the class treats every week (even with COVID-19 restrictions I have been able to fulfill these duties). Also, I love bringing life into the homeroom by making colorful and beautiful bulletin boards that can brighten anyone’s day. Lastly, I bring JOY to others through my faith life, and by living as one of God’s children every day. I do this by sharing life stories and “God moments,” with my CLJ group, attending Wednesday mass in the chapel, and going to confession at school. Through the years, I have grown in my faith life and love sharing the love of God with others. Even though this past year was far from normal, I have still been able to spread JOY throughout the halls of Mount Carmel Academy.