Candidate for Vice-President: Etienne Juluke

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

Two reasons why I am running for homeroom representative and executive board vice president are because I love making other people happy and showcasing my artistic talents to my peers.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal that I hope to accomplish if I’m elected is to make every day better, even with the adjustments we have made for COVID-19. Some ways that I try to make this happen now and want to continue in the future is to be optimistic in hard situations and to surround others with things that make them happy. I would create aesthetically pleasing bulletin boards and write encouraging notes for the people around me to make them smile.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that would best describe me would be hard working, caring, and creative. I put 110% into the things that I am passionate about, and I never present work that I’m not completely satisfied with. My goal in life is to help others and create positive change in the lives of the people around me, so I strive to make people smile and listen to them when they need someone to talk to or just have someone to be there for them. I come from a very artistic background, so I am always creating art in some form at least once a day.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

This year, combined with the events of 2020 and the effects of COVID-19, has been a hard year to always stay positive and close with people when you can’t be physically close together. To combat that, I made a conscious effort this year to always check on my friends to see how they are doing, I wrote notes for everyone in my homeroom with inspirational quotes for them to see every day, and I started becoming more involved in my church which has allowed me to spread the love of God to the people around me.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I think I should be elected to be a homeroom representative or executive board vice president because I love putting others before myself and I am very artistic, so I can come up with very creative ideas and execute them. I also work well with others, but I can excel in an independent setting. Some qualifications I have are that I was a homeroom representative this past year, I am an ambassador, I am one of the captains of speech and debate. Outside of school, I work on a teen art council at New Orleans Museum of Art, give docent guided tours at events, and I teach creativity classes. Some awards I have received are the helping hands award, outstanding member for speech and debate, member of the month for student council, and I was nominated for winter formal court.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I embody the term servant leader because while I hold leadership positions in some of my clubs, I also listen to what people tell me and make informed decisions based on what is best for the club and the people I am representing. This year, I am extremely involved in Student Council, and Speech and Debate in coming up with creative ideas to make every day interesting and being a good leader. Leadership isn’t just about giving directions to people, but it’s more about listening to what your peers are telling you and taking that into consideration before making decisions. For my homeroom, I check on everyone to make sure they are okay and I ask for any ideas before doing the bulletin boards to get feedback on what other people want to see. In my other clubs, I try to stay engaged in all meetings and events and always represent Mount Carmel in a positive manner.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I know that executive board is a lot of work, so I plan to balance everything by staying ahead of my school work and always putting school before any other activities. If elected, I will keep a planner to make sure I can properly allocate my time to my assignments and any things that need to be done for executive board. Being extremely involved in and outside of school since being at Mount Carmel has taught me that time management is the most important tool when it comes to success. I will prioritize my time at school by keeping a strict schedule and work together with the other executive board officers to properly manage and maintain the workload of the position.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

Some of my favorite things about student council are the relationships I have created with other students and the constant events that come up. I love how close I have become with some of the people on student council because if I get elected, I want to know who I am working with, not just their names. Always having something going on at Mount Carmel makes school more enjoyable and breaks up the heavy course load. These are two things that I would want to maintain if I was elected.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Some goals I have for student council would be to have fun (safely) and to make the best of every situation. Even with all of the changes this year, we were still able to have a lot of fun activities and events and I think that’s very important. It can be hard to make the best of the situation when we’ve been experiencing the effects of COVID-19 for so long, so that’s even more reason for student council to step in and give people a sense of normalcy during this time. I plan to accomplish this by working with the other members of student council to properly prepare for the accommodations that need to be made and always being positive.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

This year, combined with the events of 2020 and the effects of COVID-19, has been a hard year to always stay positive and close with people when you can’t be physically close together. To combat that, I made a conscious effort this year to always check on my friends to see how they are doing, I wrote notes for everyone in my homeroom with inspirational quotes for them to see every day, and I started becoming more involved in my church which has allowed me to spread the love of god to the people around me.