Candidate for Vice-President: Raleigh Lusignan

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I have been in active leadership roles since middle school, and I have always enjoyed having that opportunity to serve others. As Vice President of Executive Board, I would have the opportunity to help homeroom representatives grow into leadership roles within their classes. I would also be able to plan events like Student Leaders’ Retreat and pep rallies with the rest of Executive Board. Events like those help students grow their relationships with one another and develop leadership skills that will stay with them for a lifetime. As Class President, I would be able to work with the class Board in preparing for the Spirit and Gym Day events. Being Class President gives one the opportunity to help her class grow as sisters and develop lasting friendships, and I would love to be able to fill the role of Class President again. As homeroom representative, I would love to be able to help my classmates be up-to-date with school activities so that they can have a positive MCA experience.

I love how Mount Carmel has provided me with such a positive and encouraging atmosphere to help me grow as an individual, and I would like to give back to the school by contributing to that positive atmosphere. As Vice President of Executive Board, I would be able to oversee the duties of the homeroom representatives and assist the representatives in making Mount Carmel colorful and eye-catching. As Class President, I would be able to give back to my class by coordinating the organization of Spirit Day, Gym Day, and school dances. As homeroom representative, I would be able to encourage my classmates to participate in school activities and spread joy within my class.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

Communication is a very important factor in the organization and planning of events, especially the school and grade-wide events that Executive Board and Class Presidents oversee. My goal that I would like to accomplish is maintaining healthy and effective communication between elected officers and students. As Vice President, I would accomplish this by consistently checking in with homeroom representatives and ensuring that everyone understands the various goals and checkpoints that need to be met throughout the year.

As Class President, I have accomplished this factor and will plan to continue accomplishing the factor of communication by consistently communicating with my grade’s Board members and ensuring that the appropriate information is being conveyed to the grade. I will not only be communicating with the class through the Board members but also directly via class Canvas announcements and face-to-face interactions.

As homeroom representative, I would accomplish the goal of communication by keeping up-to-date with the Vice President’s goals and deadlines and ensure that my homeroom is aware of any upcoming events and spirit point opportunities.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

First, I am adaptable. I am able to calmly adjust and plan accordingly whenever an unexpected event arises. For example, as Class President, I was able to organize and execute a plan for Spirit/Gym Day this year, despite tight deadlines.

Secondly, I am dedicated. I absolutely love being able to give back to Mount Carmel, and I am so excited to have the opportunity to be in a Student Council position. I am aware of how time-consuming this role is, but I do not mind because I know I will be able to organize exciting events for the student body while in my position.

Finally, I am sociable. I am always eager to talk with others and lead events. As Class President, I was constantly socializing with my grade by visiting individual homerooms to promote Carmel Challenge Cup sign-ups, executing plans for Spirit/Gym Day, and writing and delivering my grade’s class mass opening.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?creativity to do so?

I have spread JOY to my peers by organizing, with my grade’s Board, Shirts and Skirts Week and Spirit/Gym Day. Since this year was not what it was expected to be, Board and I worked especially hard to organize our spirit events for our grade level. Personally, I painted, with one of my classmates, my grade’s Spirit and Gym Day banners. The former of which won first place. My love for art has led me to develop my artistic skills over the years and use these talents to sketch plans for the sophomore’s Gym Day scenery and props this year. I also enjoy gifting my art to others as a way to make people smile.

By performing activities such as these, I have spread JOY amongst my peers. I also played a hand in bringing back the Echoes student newspaper’s print edition and was able to share the hard work of Echoes’s members with the school this way. I hope to continue spreading JOY next year as E-Board Vice President, Class President, or as a homeroom representative.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I should be elected to Student Council because I have two years of experience in the club as both a homeroom representative and Class President. I have been a volunteer at the Audubon Zoo for three years and have received training on how to manage large and small groups and give presentations to crowds. I was also selected as one of MCA’s two representatives at the HOBY leadership conference for the 2020-2021 school year. I have a lot of experience in leadership positions, and I have the dedication needed to concentrate my efforts into my Student Council position.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

A servant leader is someone who focuses her efforts to the well-being of her peers and sees herself as equal to those around her. In a leadership position, an elected officer must recognize herself as being on even ground with her peers and be willing to ask for help and suggestions. I will do my best to always take into account the suggestions and critiques of others and ensure that everyone has a voice. I want to be a servant leader who is seen as someone that can lend a helping hand and be there to provide feedback and assistance. I want to be a part of E-Board so that I can be an exemplary servant leader and work with those in Student Council.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

Being Sophomore Class President has helped me figure out how to balance school and my extracurricular activities. Student Council is something that I truly love doing and that I’m willing to dedicate myself to. When it is called for, I am willing to sacrifice other activities to ensure I am performing my Student Council obligations as I should. I will also be sure to remain in constant communication with my fellow officers and moderators to ensure that the organization of events and activities is running smoothly and efficiently.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love the strong community that Student Council members have, and I’d love to play a part in maintaining the sisterhood of the club. I also love Student Council’s positive and non-judgemental atmosphere. I feel like I can be myself when at Student Council, and I would like to be able to give others that same sense of security.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

As I stated before, I hope to increase communication within Student Council. I especially would like to increase awareness of how much Student Council members contribute to the school. In particular, I feel that MAL’s and Artists do not get as much recognition for their hard work, as compared to representatives and Board members, because of the more behind-the-scenes work that they accomplish, and I hope to bring more attention to the importance of MALs’ and Artists’ roles while I am on Executive Board. This could be accomplished by having a spirit week with each day dedicated to a position of Student Council as recognition of Student Council’s hard work.

Additionally, I hope to have Student Council members more involved with the ongoings of Executive Board to ease any culture shock that members may have when entering the roles as well as to increase interest in E-Board positions.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

I spread JOY by having a positive attitude and lending a helping hand whenever I can. I definitely believe that kindness and JOY are contagious and that one’s positive attitude can encourage others to have a positive attitude as well. Spreading JOY is simple and only requires one to be conscious of those around them and to treat others with respect. I hope that on Student Council I can spread a more positive outlook and encourage kindness amongst the student body.