Candidate for Vice-President: Tori Mire

Candidate for Vice-President: Tori Mire

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running to be vice president of the executive board of student council for many reasons, but most importantly I am running for the position because I love MCA and I want others to love this amazing school as much as I do. I chose Mount Carmel Academy primarily because here, rather than at other schools, I truly felt loved. Whenever I am asked where I go to school, I take pride in my answer because I get to proudly say I am a Mount Carmel Cub. Especially being drawn in by the school spirit and the inclusive atmosphere, I feel compelled to get involved and give back to the school that gave me so much. I truly found myself when I came to MCA, and I desire to help others find the same love for themselves that I found when I first stepped foot on this joyous, spirited campus. I hope to be the leader that can bring others happiness, guide them spiritually on a path towards God, inspire them, and bring light and humor into everyday life on campus. Although I have numerous reasons why I want to be vice president my top two would be that I want to run because I love my school, and that I want to return the love that others that they have given me.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal that I would like to accomplish if elected to my position would be to bring more joy to the students. This might sound cliche, but I truly honestly believe that happiness in oneself is stemmed and reflected onto the happiness of others and vice versa. If I could make the school environment a place of love and joy, it would be reflected on the personal lives of everyone, which is why I think school spirit is so important. Without school spirit, our school would not be a connected family. When we have connection, we have love, and when we have love, we have happiness. Ultimately, that is my goal as VP: to spread love and happiness to all students at MCA. To accomplish my goal, I would initially start by communication. If I can communicate and ask others about their struggles and joys, I can learn about what the students want and need. Then I can help make compromises with administration and use my imput and the student body’s imput to make sure our ideas are heard. Lastly, I will make sure that everything I do is done for the betterment of the students on campus. I can help bring unity to this school to make our sisterhood bonds even stronger.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

COVID-19 took a lot of things from a lot of people, but what it did not take away at this school and especially in me, is faith. With faith, all things are possible. If anything, my faith during this time is what brought me joy. This year, I worked hard to spread surface joy to others by telling jokes in all of my classes and leaving encouraging sticky notes in desks for others to find, as well as making funny wmca segments to make people laugh. However, what I truly worked my hardest on this year was to spread everlasting joy through spreading God’s word. I prayed for others, this school, and for God to touch everyone’s hearts. I actively participated in filming masses to be able to spread the love of God despite the circumstances. I gave people prayer cards, and sent bible verses in emails to people who looked lost and in need of some joy. I am the type of person that if others are not happy, I am not happy which is why I believe that if one part of the body suffers, we all suffer. This year we needed extra joy to get through the pandemic, but with God’s love and strength I was able to do His work, and spread His joy.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I feel as though I am the best candidate for this position because not only do I meet the qualifications, I have the passion, heart, and strive. I have been a homeroom representative for two years, and currently work alongside the vice president of this year’s eboard as a Bulletin Board Committee head where I have experienced first handedly what the vice president’s job entails. I also have been an active member of Louisiana Associations of Student Councils where I served as a representative of Mount Carmel at statewide conventions. In addition, I worked an applied staff position at GNOASC leadership workshops where I talked with many other representatives from other schools to learn from them while also fostering my communication and teamwork skills. I am a member of the ambassador team and an officer of wmca where my creativity and hardwork are clearly evident of my love for this school and its students. My leadership qualifications are not just limited to student council. I work hard in my classes to embody the spirit of carmel and be a leader in my faith. I am good at time management and am committed to maintaining my positions in National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, and Mu Alpha Theta. I have learned from these clubs, the importance of service and commitment. All in all, I am a very well rounded person, that meets all of the qualifications for vice president, but that is not the only reason why I think I should be elected to this position. I think I should be elected to this position because I am confident in my abilities, trustworthy, humble, steadfast, and tenderhearted. I have so much love for MCA, and I have even more love for its students. If elected, I will give my everything to the job because that is what I have that makes me so special: passion.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

Being a servant leader distinguishes the difference between power and authority. Power is not what I am seeking to acclaim by becoming vice president of student council. I am however, seeking to gain authority so that I can use that authority to share my power and be a leader who encompasses Jesus’ humble servitude. As a leader I think I fit the term of being a servant leader because here at MCA I have many attributions that I consider to be qualifications that make me the perfect candidate for the position. This year alone, I have extensively been involved in student council. Firstly, I am a bulletin board committee head. The committees are very important because they provide behind the scenes assistance. All year around, I helped the current vice president with whatever she needs. I do this not because I am looking for recognition or power, just simply because I want to help the betterment of student council. Secondly, I made countless wmca segments for many different student council fundraisers. I am not afraid to poke fun at myself in front of the whole school if it means spreading joy to others and benefitting the club that I care so much about. Thirdly, I attended many workshops outside of school, so that I can learn what I need to do as a leader to be more effective and efficient. I did this, again not for the recognition, but for the betterment of Mount Carmel Academy. Lastly, I have personally made a difference in this school by being a servant leader because I donate my time, energy, and effort to be involved in both student council and other clubs at MCA. I embody the term servant leader because I put others’ needs ahead of my own, cherish other people’s opinions, and learn from others so that I can benefit the entire school. Again, I want to be Vice President, not because I want power. I want to be Vice President, so that I can work for the betterment of the students to make it the best year it can possibly be.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I understand that any position on the Executive Board is very time consuming which is why I understand that making a commitment to be Mount Carmel’s Vp requires dedication, effort, and a steadfast mentality. I am prepared and committed completely to this position, and feel as though I have enough experience with managing my time that I can adequately stay on top of my work to be able to succeed as a vice president. If elected, I will give my everything to the position, and would make sure that the majority of my time was dedicated towards Student Council above other clubs and activities. I would work hard to make an organized schedule for eboard and myself to make sure we are working on tasks as a team to keep things flowing at an efficient pace. I would lead my peers effectively, but I would also not be afraid to ask for help if need be because I understand the importance of assistance and teamwork. As Vp, I will schedule and organize my time to the best of my abilities to not procrastinate so that I can accomplish my goals in a creative unique way.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

There are so many amazing things that I as a student love about student council. When I came to MCA in 8th grade I was a shy kid who would have never dreamed of ever being on student council. However, as I grew in my personality and became accustomed to the school thanks to the wonderful student councils over the years, I felt compelled to get more involved. At the end of 9th grade I ran to become a homeroom representative and I was elected. Over the next years, I fell even deeper in love with student council. If elected, I would want to maintain the student council’s goal of spreading the spirit of carmel to all of the students. Eboard and student council have truly touched my heart and made me feel special even as an incoming 8th grader. Now, I want to spread the same love and happiness throughout the school in pep rallies, activities, and events that allow everyone to get involved. I want to connect the school to bring unity amongst the grades because the past eboards have made me realize that even though there is friendly competition between the mascots, ultimately we are a cub first. I love MCA, and I look forward to continuously showing love for this wonderful school just like student council has always done.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

I have many goals for Student Council next year, but to articulate a few, there first must be an understanding of the ultimate goal of mine. The ultimate goal of mine as Eboard Vice President is to make this upcoming year the best year it can possibly be. Because of covid, so many different events and opportunities have been limited, and I think that people have lost their passion for recognizing the importance of the journey. There will be bumps in the road along the way, just as we have seen this year, but in the end I want people to remember their high school years as being filled with spirit, sisterhood, and excitement. As Vp, I can help give them that because I will make sure that school activities are pleasurable, united, and positive. I will work hard to be a liaison from the administrators to the students and vice versa, so that we as a student body will be able to enjoy next year, cherish every moment, and grow as a family of Mount Carmel. Smaller goals I have for next year depend ultimately on the main goal of unity. For example, I would like to increase attendance at sporting events and make sure pep rallies are entertaining and enjoyable. I want to hang more banners and have more incentives for each grade’s school spirit. I hope to reward kindness and gratitude as well. Without first being unified none of these things would be possible. I can help accomplish my goals by leading by example and advertising on wmca in fun-eye catching segments about just how important school spirit really is. I will bring faith and love into all of my student council projects which will benefit the totality of the school so that we can unitedly have the best year yet!

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

This year at MCA has been quite challenging. Without a doubt there has been moments of hardship and failure, but I always try to see the best in every situation even when there might not seem like there is one. This year specifically, I have tried extra hard to be a light in other people’s lives. I make sure to wave at people in the hallways, tell people hello, pray for those in need, crack a joke every once and awhile, and ultimately just be there for anyone who needs it. Even if I do not know the person directly, I make sure I hold the door for them and ask them how they are doing. Unbelievably, the slightest kind words and actions can have such an impact on people’s lives which is why I try to always provide kind words and affirmations to everyone I meet. This year I have made it my goal to be outgoing so that I can provide comfort, love, and support to all of my peers because I know especially now, a friendly face, even 6 feet away, is very much needed and welcomed. I have helped spread God’s joy by going to weekly masses and filming the school wide masses so that others can equally experience God’s word to have Him touch their hearts like He has touched mine. I also have made many WMCA segments where both in an off camera I made sure were positive spreaders of joy because I have always wanted to make people laugh and smile. There is much importance in laughter which is why I try my best to laugh and make people laugh even when the times might be hard. I have become friends with so many people this year and that is because I believe deeply in the necessity of friendship. I desire to be called a friend by everyone, and I recognize the Godly bond we already share as daughters of Christ. I pray for everyone at this school daily, and I hope I touched the lives of many here at Mount Carmel Academy. As Vp, I promise to continue to spread love and happiness everyday through everything I do.