Candidate for Vice-President: Kayla Story

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for Vice President because I have enjoyed being a rep for the past four years and am ready to take on a bigger role in student council. I have many ideas of how to improve the way student council runs things surrounding the duties of reps, so I would like to implement those ideas as well as my experience in student council in a leadership position.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

If I am elected Vice President, I would like to reform the way accucuts are done. Instead of putting them on a google form, I would make all forms on paper so reps can write the phrase they want for their board exactly how they want it and they can write the number of letters they need. I think this would prevent accucut forms from being lost or messed up, and it would cut the amount of time needed to do accucuts.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits I think best describe me are imaginative, motivated, and approachable. I am imaginative in my way of thinking of new ideas as well as how to bring those new ideas to life. I am motivated to do my best no matter how many times I have to start over. Lastly, I am approachable and make people feel comfortable around me so my peers will never feel weird about asking a question or making a suggestion.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

One of the main ways I can easily spread joy to my peers is through the treats I bring for my homeroom. Most recently, my board member and I teamed up to bring face sized chocolate chip cookies to my homeroom to congratulate them on a good Spirit/Gym Day. Even looking at the size of the cookies, they became very excited.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I have been a rep for four years and have had many experiences with different eboards and how they do things. Because of my experience as a rep since 8th grade, I have seen what ways of doing things works and what doesn’t, so I can use that to guide my work as Vice President. All four years as rep, I have won first place for many of my bulletin boards.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I embody the term “servant leader” by making sure everything I do for student council is for the students at Mount Carmel. Because I like to serve, I do make sure to bring nice treats for my homeroom on a week that might be kind of hard or make bulletin boards really cute so it can brighten up the room. In addition, I always try to lend my support to cheer the cubs to victory even if I already have all my committee events and points.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

If I am elected, I would prioritize my duties as Vice President over other activities and clubs I am involved in. One skill that has helped me be successful in managing my time is making a checklist of any upcoming events I need to participate in or any jobs I need to complete. It keeps me on track and allows me to stay on top of everything I have going on, and often allows me to work ahead.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

Some things I love about Student Council that I want to maintain are pep rallies and spirit point awards. Pep rallies are a great way to get people excited and involved in supporting the sports teams at MCA. I also think they are a nice break when school gets super stressful and they are a great way to show your grade’s spirit. I especially loved the glow and the dark pep rally and I would like to bring that theme back as well as other fun themes for the rally. Additionally, the cafeteria being decorated each quarter to celebrate the spirit point winner is something I would like to continue. I think it is really nice to see your class’s colors in the cafeteria and cafe and it makes people more inclined to participate in the school’s functions.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

My goals for student council next year is to bring back many of the activities that we were unable to do this past year and make them as fun as they can be. With progress being made with COVID vaccines, many people are gaining hope that things are going back to normal, and would like to help everyone have an amazing year after going through Covid by resuming pep rallies with all five grades in the gym, cheering for the pink and red game, and so much more. Even in the event this is not possible, I would still like to continue the creative efforts of this year’s executive board by starting new traditions for all the grades to enjoy like the movie nights of this year.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

This past year, I have spread joy at MCA by staying positive and doing what I can to make other people happier. I have found that a simple genuine compliment or helping someone with work that they are struggling in can really make someone’s day and help them have an easier time in school. Most recently, I feel I can spread joy through doing the best in the job I already have as a rep. Making special treats like brownie cookies instead of regular chocolate chip ones or making a really eye catching bulletin board that shows how many days left of school we have really gives people hope and helps them keep going.