Candidate for Secretary: Shelby Blalock

Candidate for Secretary: Shelby Blalock

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for Eboard Secretary because I would like to be a part of student council functions. I feel as though I can contribute to Eboard and be an active and helpful member of the student council, and I can handle the responsibilities. I am running for Class President because I am willing to take on the responsibility and spend the time it takes to get everything done for all events for my class. I am running for Board because I would like to contribute to costume making. I am creative and crafty and I can use these skills to help me as a board member.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

If I am elected as Eboard secretary, my goal would be to come up with a system for future secretaries to start the year off organized. I will come up with a sample spreadsheet that is easy to enter in information for points, committee events, attendance, ext. I will take time to experiment with what organization tactics work and do not work. If I am elected Class President, a goal I would like to accomplish is to have our most fun year yet. I would like to work with staff and members of the board to plan class events.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that describe me are organized, hard-working, and outgoing. I will be able to use these traits to be successful in the positions I am running for and help fulfill each position to the best of my ability. I will use my organizational skills to help any school events go as smoothly as possible and make sure each task is getting done diligently. I will always make sure I am working hard and making student council my number one priority, and my outgoing personality will help me work well with others.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

I have spread JOY through my art and through interactions with my peers. I have made art for my friends and family. As an artist, I have helped paint many banners for the school, therefore, bringing joy to others through my art.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I have been on the student council since my eighth-grade year. I was a homeroom representative for my eighth and ninth-grade year and I was an artist my sophomore year. I believe I should be elected Eboard Secretary because I am organized and have experience working with spreadsheets and keeping track of information. I believe I am qualified to be class president because I can keep people on task and strive to make sure my grade performs the best as possible in all events as well as being a liaison between my class and student council. I believe I should be elected as a board member because I am creative and crafty and can use my creativity to help come up with ideas for spirit and gym day as well as making up cheers.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I embody the term “servant leader” by sharing the leading roles with others. As a homeroom representative, I shared a leading role with my board member. As an officer of CLC, I share the leadership and responsibility with the other officers of CLC. When working with the other officers, we would delegate and distribute the work and make sure everyone is contributing evenly. In Student Council, I have contributed by being a committee head my freshman and sophomore years. I have always gone above and beyond attending more events and getting more points than needed. I will always volunteer when they need someone to fill a role.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

Next year, I will be able to drive, therefore, allowing myself get to school as early as needed and leave as late as needed. I only live 5 minutes away from school, so it will be easy for me to adapt to time changes and get to MCA when needed. I plan to do homework during IS and when I get home at night. Although I will be in other clubs next year, I will make EBoard my number one priority.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love all student events such as Student Leaders Retreat, pep rallies, picnics, and dances. I love that student council members are really able to be involved in our school community by setting up events and being able to work with them. I would like to maintain committee events where members are able to work together on events and be a representative of Mount Carmel’s student council.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Hopefully, with not as strict guidelines for COVID, I would like to help the student council get back on track with events that occurred in past years. I would like to make it a goal to have SLR and Back to Brown Bash again. I will work diligently and cooperatively with other Eboard and staff to make it possible for students to have these events again. I will work hard to make sure we are following the rules while being able to have fun.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

I have spread JOY at MCA this past year through art, acts of kindness, and volunteering. I create artwork for the school with other Artists to lift spirits. I have tutored friends to help them with school work. I have also helped teachers with tasks this year, such as spraying the desks after every class. I volunteer for MCA events, such as Open House, and work for Student Council events. Through all these actions I have created joy for other students.