Candidate for Secretary: Hailey Ferrara

Candidate for Secretary: Hailey Ferrara

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

Two reasons why I am running for E-Board Secretary in Student Government are because I love contributing to Student Council and I really want to make a positive impact on our school. From my experience of being an MAL and then a Homeroom Rep for the past few years, I have gained a lot of insight and leadership skills from not only my responsibilities as a member of Student Government, but also from members of E-Board specifically. I would love to positively influence students and members of Student Government and to instill in them good leadership abilities just like others have done for me.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal I would like to accomplish if I am elected as Secretary is more contribution of Student Government members in our weekly meetings. Although other members can do small things like submitting suggestions for It’s Your Day songs, I feel general members do not have as much say in overall decisions and events regarding Student Government. I feel like the format of our meetings each week tends to overlook the opinions of general members, and they should have more opportunities in my opinion to express their ideas. To accomplish this goal, I would ask for any questions the members might have at the end of each Student Council meeting. Furthermore, I think having a google form on canvas for any potential questions or recommendations would definitely help include all members of Student Government.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that I think best describe me are determined, responsible, and compassionate. When I commit to doing something, especially when it is for the benefit of others and not just myself, I always want to do the best I can even if it may be difficult or tedious. I believe that my perseverance in tasking duties shows my determination. I would also describe myself as responsible because I keep track of all my responsibilities and make sure to follow through with my commitments. It is very important to me that I maintain trust and an image of dependability with others. Finally, I am compassionate because I place a great importance on helping others feel more comfortable and at home. Being determined in my work, responsible with my commitments and what I need to do for others, and compassionate and empathetic towards others overall portray my leadership skills and my want for positive change.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

With Covid-19 restrictions in mind, I have spread JOY to my peers using creativity by motivating my peers to continue their school spirit and devotion to responsibilities in general. As a current Homeroom Representative, I have expressed positivity and willingness to spread school spirit to my homeroom through our group chat. Additionally, I often encourage them to stay positive despite Covid-19 and social distancing. Creating a positive environment for my homeroom in a group chat, reminding them of weekly occurrences, and stressing the importance of staying focused on grades and responsibilities via a mainly virtual platform thoroughly express how I creatively spread JOY to my peers despite social distancing and the stress of Covid-19.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I think I should be elected as E-Board Secretary because I have been a part of Student Council for three years as both an MAL and most recently as a Homeroom Representative. Because of this, I have earned much leadership experience and a want for our school’s overall improvement. I am very hardworking and love contributing to our school. I think taking AP and Honors classes as well as my involvement in extracurricular activities truly shows my qualities of leadership, responsibility, and initiative, which are imperative to holding an E-Board position. Not only do I take on these challenges but I also demonstrate perseverance by maintaining good grades, earning Principal’s Honor Roll, and tutoring in clubs like Spanish National Honor Society.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

In my opinion, I embody the term “servant leader” because I always strive to help others and do everything I can for them. I think a big part of leadership is cooperation and working together as a group to accomplish goals. I have been an MAL for one year and then a Class Representative following that for the past two years. Having this past experience working within Student Council as well as participating in extracurriculars, I have gained insight on what it takes to lead and inspire others as well as promote overall spirit and enthusiasm.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

Taking into consideration the time consuming element of being on Executive Board, I plan to manage and organize my time by creating weekly schedules and planning ahead of each week. For example, I intend to make a list of everything I need to do for the next week during the weekend, and to ensure my time is divided appropriately according to my responsibilities. By laying out my weekly commitments, I can then easily stay on track and spend adequate time with all of my respective tasks.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

Some of the things I personally love about Student Council that I would want to maintain are its sense of community and spirit-filled nature. I have always felt that Student Council is like a community or family that bonds its members together. It creates a feeling of comfort and eagerness to help each other out. Additionally, I would also want to maintain the enthusiastic spirit Student Council. exudes I feel that Student Council encourages its members as well as other students to take part in school events and other special activities. For example, the majority of members go to sporting events to cheer on our classmates, and I would love to continue this strong encouragement and faith in our peers through Student Council.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Some goals I have for next year’s Student Council are to increase member participation and to encourage the sharing of their thoughts and recommendations to the members of E-Board. In my opinion, the general members of Student Council do not nearly have as much influence as the E-Board officers. Although E-Board is ultimately in charge of making decisions for the benefit of Mount Carmel and our Student Government in general, I think more input from MALs, Homeroom Representatives, and other general members as well as E-Board integrating their ideas would be extremely helpful in accomplishing this goal of inclusion and our development as a whole.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

I have spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances by upholding a positive attitude and encouraging others to always try their best. Because of my current position as a Homeroom Representative for the past two years, I have been able to motivate girls in my homeroom to take part in many school activities and fundraisers. For example, I remind them about upcoming Come Lord Jesus sessions and additionally actively take part in conversation to set a good example for them. I bake my homeroom’s favorite sweets for their birthdays to help them feel comfortable and loved, and I also encourage them to partake in events like MCA’s Mission Drive and Spirit/Gym day practices. Despite the lack of sporting events and activities open to student attendance this year, I have spread JOY at MCA through my positivity and encouragement of others.