Candidate for Secretary: Claire Lepine

Candidate for Secretary: Claire Lepine

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for Secretary, Homeroom Representative, and Member-at-Large because I throughly enjoy being on Student Council, and I would like to be able to use my strengths in a way that helps others or MCA. Student Council allows me to grow myself in various skills that I believe make me a better person, and I would like to continue to be a part of this community.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal I would like to accomplish in office this year is making sure everyone feels connected during this time. When coronavirus hit, it was hard for a lot of people. While we were able to come back to school, we weren’t able to do a lot of the fun things we usually do like in-person pep rallies or SLR. Our current E-Board members did a great job at doing the activties they could, even if they were virtual. Therefore, I would like to continue what they were doing and try to bring some of these events back by making sure everyone follows safety protocols and CDC guidelines.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that describe me the best are creative, efficient, and hardworking. First, I chose creative because I thoroughly enjoy coming up with new ideas that have a creative twist. Next, I chose efficient because I believe in getting something done quickly, but it should be done correctly the first time. Last, I chose hardworking because I am willing and able to put in the time and effort it takes to do well in these positions.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

I have spread JOY by reaching out to others and offering my support during these hard times. I also had a prayer service via Zoom with my friends which allowed us to come closer to God. By reaching out to others and having a prayer service, my friends and I were able to come closer to each other and and closer to God.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I believe I should be elected into this position because I have been given the opportunity to grow in leadership, communication, and time-management which are all important skills for this position. I have been a homeroom rep on Student Council for the last two years, and I was awarded member of the month for October of my freshman year.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I believe I embody the term “Servant Leader” through participation in various Student Council activities, and helping out around the school. Throughout my time on Student Council, I have participated in many activities and events. These helped me to build my on strengths and qualities as a leader. I have embodied the term “Servant Leader” at MCA by helping out others without hesitation, volunteering for school events, and working multiple weeks of summer camp.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I plan to manage my time by writing all of my tasks for E-Board and school down on a piece of paper. Then, I take each task and give it a start time, and an estimated time it would take to complete said task. For example, I need to read 80 pages in a book, but I also need to update the points sheet. I would start reading the 80 pages and try to finish within the estimated time frame, then complete the points sheet. I implemented this plan for this school year, and it has worked really well for me so far.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love how Student Council brings excitement into responsibilities and I would really like to maintain this. During my time on Student Council, I never felt like my obligations and responsibilities were monotonous because we always had new activities to do, or we changed the atmosphere of an activity by playing some fun music.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

One goal I have for Student Council next year is to be able to have Student Leader’s Retreat. I thoroughly enjoyed SLR last year and I would really like to be able to have it again next year. We can accomplish this by following CDC guidelines and possibly placing students in the cafe or the cafteria to help spread out more.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

I have spread JOY by helping others when they needed it, and bringing others closer to Jesus through praying together. By helping others, I am able to put a smile on someone elses face, and bring them some joy during these difficult times. Praying with others makes myself and my friends feel stronger and closer together.