Candidate for Secretary: Abby Weber

Candidate for Secretary: Abby Weber

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for the position of secretary, representative, or MAL because I want to grow my leadership skills, and I love serving my classmates and MCA. I would like to be elected to the position of secretary because I have been a representative for four years, and I want to move onto the next step of my leadership journey. Even if I am not elected to this position, I would still be honored to serve as a representative or MAL because my main goal is to serve my school, which is what I will strive to do in any of these roles. In addition, I am running for these positions because of my passion to serve MCA. I love being the person that students can turn to when they have questions, need clarification, or just need a smile to brighten their day. I enjoy pouring my creativity and hard work into Mount Carmel as a way to give back for everything this school has given to me. My desire to grow in leadership and my love of serving MCA are the reasons I am running for secretary, representative, and MAL.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

If I am elected, the most important goal that I would like to accomplish is to include more fundraisers to help those less fortunate than we are. If I am elected to the position of secretary, I will be in a greater position of leadership where I will be able to carry out my goal more effectively. To complete this goal as secretary, I would discuss organizations and charities that we could donate to in the weekly meetings that E-board has with the Student Council moderators. If approved, I would help arrange the different ways that not only Student Council but MCA as a whole could get involved so that we could help the less fortunate to the best of our abilities. I would also like to include incentives for students to donate, such as dress down days, points, and committee events. If I am elected to the position of representative or MAL, it would be harder for me to carry out my goal, however, I would still share my ideas with the elected E-board members and moderators so that it might still be carried out, even if I am not the one doing it.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that best describe me are reliable, motivated, and organized. First, I am reliable because I never leave a task unfinished. Whenever I am given a deadline, the task is not only completed on time, but I work hard to ensure that it is also done completely and correctly. Next, I am motivated because I am extremely driven and eager to complete my goals and to learn new things along the way. Being a member of Key Club, NHS, and MCCADD have pushed me to be a better student and leader. I am very passionate about Student Council, therefore, each of my duties will be top priorities because any position that I am elected to is very important to me. Lastly, I am organized because I love keeping all matters in order so that no task goes unfinished. Also, I am very meticulous in everything I do because I believe that the details can be the most important parts of a given assignment or event. Even though I am very precise and thorough, I am still punctual and dependable. Because I am reliable, motivated, and organized, I am the perfect candidate for the positions of secretary, homeroom representative, or MAL because I am able to serve any of these positions effectively and responsibly.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

Even though the circumstances this school year have been different than any we have ever experienced before, I have still made an effort to spread JOY to my peers. Because everyone was affected by COVID-19 in a different way, I have tried to always spread positivity and kindness to students and faculty. This year, every face is covered with a mask. Because of this, I have had to get creative with the way that I spread JOY. Instead of simply smiling at someone in the hallway, I have made an effort to make others laugh and keep up with how they are doing. This enabled me to get to know my classmates on a different level and become closer with them. I also spread JOY through making colorful bulletin boards and creative Christmas doors so that everyone who goes into my homeroom is surrounded with a lively and cheerful atmosphere.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I should be elected to secretary, representative, or MAL because I have been an active member of Student Council for four years, and I am extremely dedicated to this club. I feel that it is important to give back to my classmates who have continued to elect me as a homeroom representative for four years, so I do all that I can in my position of leadership to make sure their journeys at MCA are smooth and enjoyable. In addition, I am a member of other leadership clubs such as MCCADD, Key Club, and NHS. I have won awards for my bulletin boards and Christmas doors, which show my creativity and the efforts I put into making Mount Carmel as pretty as can be. I truly love this club, and I would love to take my leadership to the next level by becoming a member of Executive Board.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I embody the term “servant leader” by putting others before myself in everything I do, especially when I am in a position of leadership. During the last four years as a homeroom representative, I have gained an understanding of being a loyal and selfless leader. In any situation that I am presented with and in any decision that I have to make regarding the Student Council, my homeroom and peers are always my priority. Every task that I complete, and every event that I participate in is for my classmates. For example, as a representative my main responsibilities are to be a liaison between the Student Council and my homeroom, celebrate homeroom birthdays, decorate the homeroom bulletin boards, and assist my homeroom teacher in any matter. Even though I am considered the “leader” in these circumstances, I see myself more as a servant because everything that I accomplish as a Student Council member is to make my peers’ experiences at Mount Carmel the best they can be. In addition, I consider myself to be a servant leader through my involvement in Key Club. I have been a member of Key Club for two years, and this club has taught me that service is the most important and meaningful value that we are called to participate in as Catholics. I love being involved in Key Club because whenever I am able to help someone else, I participate in my duty to fulfill the needs of that person. To me, a leader’s responsibility is to serve and satisfy the needs of others.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I am aware of the time and effort that is required if I am elected to MCA’s Executive Board. As a result, I have already made plans to manage my time effectively to ensure that Executive Board is a top priority. First, I will make sure to participate in my other commitments only if they do not interfere with the dates and times that I will commit to anything connected with Student Council. These commitments include other MCA clubs, jobs, and activities outside of school. Secondly, to make sure that I am able execute all areas of my position, not only completely but also to the best of my ability, I will plan ahead and stay organized so that I will not fail to complete any task that is my responsibility. Next, I will come to school early and stay late when necessary to guarantee that my duties and assignments are on time and complete. Finally, I will help the other Executive Board members with their tasks if they need it because Executive Board is a group effort, and everything that we do is for the betterment of Mount Carmel. However, my duties are my first priority because I am fully committed to my position.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

Throughout my four years at MCA, I have been involved in many clubs, however, Student Council has always had a special place in my heart. The first thing that I love about Student Council is the dedication of each member and moderator. Everyone involved in Student Council is extremely hardworking and driven to serve the Mount Carmel community. I want to maintain this momentum so that the 2021-2022 Student Council can create entertaining events, charity drives, and a lively atmosphere at MCA. I also love the upbeat ambiance of the weekly Student Council meetings. This positive environment makes me feel excited to attend meetings and participate. If elected, I would love to maintain this cheerful energy during meetings by celebrating birthdays, playing music, and giving members rewards for their hard work and involvement. In addition, I enjoy serving my classmates and MCA as a whole by helping with events and other tasks. I feel that it is important to maintain a spirit of excitement and involvement among the students and faculty by serving them.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

I have many goals for Student Council next year. The first is to include more fundraising drives and raise money to help more people in need. I would especially like to help those who have suffered with physical and mental health issues as a result of COVID-19. Next, I hope to achieve more normalcy and togetherness if we are able to. Because of the coronavirus, we have not been able to participate in as many events, and we have rarely been able to gather together as a whole club. I would love to regain the closeness of Student Council because it truly is a club of teamwork and friendship. In addition, I would like to ask for more input from the Student Council members themselves about events, planning, incentives, and anything else that involves the school community. If elected, my job is to serve not only Student Council but MCA as a whole. In order to do this, it is essential that I include both the students’ and faculty’s ideas and opinions on important school matters.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

Despite our unique circumstances, I have still made spreading JOY at MCA a priority this past year. No matter what, I always make it a practice to show kindness to everyone that I meet. This past year, especially, I have paid more attention to the situations and feelings of others during this hard time. Throughout the chaos caused by COVID-19, I have learned that you may never fully know the hardships or sufferings your peers are facing. As a result, I have used my position of leadership to be a friend to anyone who needs it. I make an effort to see that my classmates are doing well not only inside of MCA but also outside of school. I also spread JOY by showing excitement and happiness through reading the homeroom announcements. Even though this action seems simple and insignificant, I make it an essential part of my day so that I can be a positive influence on the members of my homeroom. I believe that small acts of kindness such as these are crucial to live out because my positive attitude can influence others to participate in the same good deeds and so on, spreading JOY all throughout Mount Carmel. If elected, I will continue this positive behavior so that students know that MCA is a comfortable and joyful place to be.