Candidate for Treasurer: Sophia McKean

Candidate for Treasurer: Sophia McKean

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running to be the treasurer of executive board because I’d like to gain more leadership experience. I have served as a class representative for the past 3 years and I’d like to expand my experience as a leader. I am also running for treasurer because I would like to serve Mount Carmel and my classmates on a larger scale by working on an executive board position. Through serving my school on a larger scale, I would like to make next year one of the best years yet since COVID restriction will hopefully be less intense.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal I would like to accomplish is being able to implement fun and successful school activities next year such as dances, in-person pep rallies, and student council parties. I truly believe that if all COVID safety protocols are followed, these activities will be able to occur. I would work alongside Eboard, student council, and administration to make this possible. Through making these things happen, I will make sure to produce a budget for the events and will not go over the budget.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

I am responsible, respectful, and compassionate. First, I see myself as responsible because I always complete my tasks in a timely manner and meet deadlines. Secondly, I am respectful because I make an effort to treat every person with the same respect I would like to be treated with. Finally, I am compassionate. If I ever see a student or teacher feeling down, I make sure to check in with them to see if they are ok and how I can help.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

Though there are COVID-19 restrictions, I have not found it difficult to spread joy throughout MCA. I have even found it more exciting to spread joy. For example, I have made sure to talk to my classmates, especially if they are experiencing difficulties at home, at school, ect. I have also made sure to give the girls in my homeroom a personalized water bottle on their birthday. This has allowed each girl to feel extra special on their specific day.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I believe I should be elected as executive board treasurer because I have experience with student council, I am involved with school activities, and I am dedicated to student government. I am qualified to be Eboard treasurer because I have been a homeroom representative for the past three years, I attended the LASC GNO workshop this year, and I am the spirit sparkler of WMCA. In addition, I am McKean 2 involved with school activities. For example, I am in National Honor Society and Spanish National Honors Society. Through Spanish National Honors Society, I was able to participate in the virtual film festival this year where I had to memorize a line and say it in Spanish. I have also won awards throughout the years. For example, I have won many awards for my homeroom bulletin boards as well as the presidential bronze award in ninth grade for going above and beyond with my service hours. I would have won the award again last year but due to COVID-19 and school closing, the award was not given.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I embody being a servant leader through my duties as a representative, my participation in WMCA, and my service to MCA. For example, as a representative, I communicate with my teachers and classmates in order to inform them about events happening at school. I also make an effort to help my homeroom teacher when help is needed, whether being asked or volunteering. In addition, as WMCA spirit sparkler, I try to make club members feel included by thanking them for their help and by creating We are Proud of you stickers. In WMCA, I have served the student council by creating catchy songs for both the Cherrydale fundraiser and the World’s Finest Chocolate sales. Finally, I have served Mount Carmel by volunteering at open house each year since 8th grade. Doing so has allowed me to show pride for my school and give others the opportunity to experience Mount Carmel spirit.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

If I am elected as Executive Board Treasurer I plan to manage my time by completing my homework assignments the day they are given and by utilizing my time during independent study. During IS, I plan on completing homework assignments and seeing teachers if I am confused on something. Seeing my teachers will help me with time management because when it comes time for a test, I will not be over-burdening myself by trying to learn a certain subject in one night. I also plan to complete my treasurer tasks as soon as possible rather than wait till the last minute. These strategies will set the path for a successful and smooth time in office as treasurer.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

I would like to maintain the comradery between the student council members. The friendship and spirit between the student council members is what makes student council such a great organization. Whether we are working on accucuts or sorting money, the student council members always find a way to have fun doing such tasks.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

If I am elected as treasurer, I plan to never go over the student council budget. I will do so by using a spending plan in which I will prioritize spending money for the needs of the student council and then will put money towards the wants of the student council. Also, keeping receipts will be very important to my plan because this will allow me to view how much money the student council has spent as well as McKean 3 how much money has been made. Another goal I have for the student council next year is to have very engaging pep rallies. I am very hopeful that COVID-19 restrictions will be more relaxed next year, so it will be time to show MCA the most school spirit.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

Even though the world was burdened with a pandemic, spreading joy has not been a difficult task. I have made it my utmost priority to spread positivity and joy throughout MCA. For instance, I have made sure to comfort and converse with my classmates who may seem down. I try my best to turn their sadness or stress into happiness and joy. Also, I have made sure to bring the girls in my homeroom joy by surprising them with a personalized water bottle on their birthday. This has made each girl in my homeroom feel appreciated. Finally, I have tried my best to take the current situation of our world lightly and have chosen to look to the bright side of things. I have also encouraged classmates to do the same because things will get better.