Candidate for Artist Chairlady: Sydney Kremer

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for the Executive Board position of Artist Chairlady and for Student Council Artist because of my love for art and my desire to help and lead my fellow class Artists. Since serving as an Artist since my freshman year, I have been given the opportunity to further my artistic abilities while also helping my grade and school as a whole. I would like to continue my journey as a Student Council Artist and hope to serve as Artist Chairlady my last year in order to make sure that all of the other Artists enjoy this experience as much as I have over the past few years.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal I would like to accomplish as Artist Chairlady and as an Artist is to give more opportunities for the Artists to be recognized for the hard work that they do. Unlike Board Members and Representatives, Artists’ work often goes unnoticed because they don’t get to interact with the student body on a regular basis. In order to accomplish this, I will encourage the artists to work with their respective Class President, Board, and Representatives to achieve a common goal in representing class themes. I will also make sure that Artists are recognized for their work by making announcements and WAPYs for their successes.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that I would use to describe myself are dedicated, hard-working, and creative. I will continue to be dedicated to my elected position and everything it entails. I am also committed to both Student Government and Mount Carmel as a whole and strive to promote events such as SLR, Back to Brown Bash, and Slam N Jam. My strong work ethic will enable me to complete everything on time and to the best of my ability. I am able to prioritize, take initiative in everything I do, and be efficient. Lastly, I will use my creativity to design banners, t-shirts, and other art projects that are required as well as to find solutions to problems that may arise throughout the year. I will find new and different ways to get tasks done as your Artist Chairlady or Student Council Artist.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

I have spread joy to my peers by performing small acts of kindness throughout the day such as holding the door open, helping in class if someone is struggling with the assigned work, and lending an ear to those who may just need someone to listen to them. Even though these things seem simple, they may be just what someone needs to brighten their day. Also, I am considerate of other people’s feelings and am willing to help my peers when they are in need and cheer them up when they are sad.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I feel that my peers should vote for me because of my prior experience as an Artist and Representative. I have been on Student Government since 8th grade and know what it takes to get the job done efficiently and properly. In my three years as an Artist, I have watched and learned from past Chairladies what is expected of them on a day-to-day basis as well as what the job entails overall. Over the years, I have participated in numerous clubs such as Student Council, National Honors Society, National Art Honors Society, and CLC. As President of the 8th Grade Service Learning Club and being a member of these other clubs, I have learned what it means to be part of a team and how to grow as a leader. I have won numerous t-shirt designs for SLR, Carmel Challenge Cup, and Student Council. I have collaborated with my fellow grade Artists on our spirit day and gym day banners each year. I have also designed and painted my grade’s gym day letters. Collectively, all of these things have assisted me in becoming the hardworking leader that I am today and would make me an outstanding Artist Chairlady or Artist.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I feel that I embody the term “servant leader” in both Student Council and in the Mount Carmel Academy community by being part of a team and helping those around me through simple acts. Being a “servant leader” means helping those in need even when they may not realize it. I try to make everyone feel included and that they have a voice in decisions that will benefit our class and the school as a whole. I work as a “servant leader” in Student Council by making sure that all of the Artists voice their own opinions while also working together to accomplish our tasks in the most efficient and prompt way possible for the whole school to enjoy.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

By being involved in both Student Council and other clubs in the past, I have found ways to balance my time for academics as well as my extracurriculars. I know that serving on the Executive Board is time-consuming and I am up for the challenge. I will make time for the Artist Chairlady position and am willing to cut back on other extracurriculars and out-of-school activities in order to achieve my goals. I will implement these time management methods that I have learned with my fellow Artists such as creating schedules for banner workdays and for when designs are due. I will also delegate tasks to the Artists in order to be more efficient.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love the way Student Council has grown into my second family. By spending time together at our Monday meetings and other events, I have become friends with people that I would not otherwise have known. As Artist Chairlady, I will continue to make people feel welcomed and foster a sense of sisterhood among all Student Council members.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

My main goal for Student Council is to give the student body more chances to have their opinions considered on matters that are normally just handled by Student Council, such as themes for Winter Formal or Back to Brown Bash. A way to consider their opinions would be to create Google forms on class Canvas pages where they could submit ideas or vote on preselected themes. By being a part of the process, students would be more inclined to attend these events and boost participation in these after-school activities.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

During the past year, I have spread joy at MCA by trying to brighten someone’s day. By simply smiling and saying hello to someone, I can have an impact on their outlook for that day. By performing small acts of kindness on a consistent basis, I am spreading laughter and joy to my fellow classmates.