Candidate for MAL Chairlady: Alexis Alonso

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for the positions of Member-At-Large Chairlady, Board member, and Member-At-Large because I would be honored to be able to better serve my Mount Carmel community and help create a place that will foster my peers’ confidence, leadership, responsibilities, and creativity. I value the time I have spent on student council because it is extremely important to me and allows me to grow as a leader, student, person, and daughter of Christ.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

My goal, if elected, will be to create an environment that is enjoyable and stimulates character development for the students at MCA. I would accomplish this by ensuring that each student’s birthday is celebrated in a way that highlights their importance and uniqueness. Furthermore, I want students to get excited about their balloons and for the Member-At-Larges to enjoy their morning shifts. The positions I am running for bring so much joy and spirit to the student body and I would like to be able to contribute to that.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

Three traits that describe me are cheerful, passionate, and diligent. I try to live my life in a Christ-like manner and I put emphasis on being a cheerful person especially when circumstances are challenging. I have passion and zeal about the things I love and work diligently to create accomplishments and success. Finally, I am a hard worker and strive to meet and exceed my goals no matter how difficult it may be. Modeling and looking up at my parents who are hardworking and have had so much success has been inspiring and motivating for me. I strive to model their hard work, dedication, and commitment.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

During the pandemic it has been difficult to spread Joy to my peers, you can’t stand in a close circle and cheer, nor can you give your friend a hug of either excitement or disappointment. And, you can not smile at someone as you walk past them in the halls. So, I have been spreading positivity and Joy by being as positive and optimistic as possible. Although it is a simple act it is a challenging one that requires strength and creativity, especially when situations seem bleak.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I have several qualifications that will allow me to successfully uphold the position of Member-At-Large Chairlady, Board member, or Member-At-Large. These qualifications are; my three years as Member-At-Large on MCA’s Student Council, I was awarded Outstanding Member 2018-2019 and 2019-2020, I was a spirit point committee head for the 2019-2020 school year as well as a committee head 2020-2021. I am an active member in WMCA Club 2018-2021 and Multi-Cultural Club 2019-2020. I am a dedicated Ambassador for the 2020-2021 school year and hope to be again for the 2021-2022 school year. I was nominated for “Personality’’ for the 2021 Winter Formal Court. In addition, I serve on the LASC District board as Vice President for 2020-2022, I have attended the 2019 and 2020 LASC State conventions. I was in attendance of the 2019 and 2020 district workshops and helped coordinate, plan, and lead a small group at the 2021 district workshop at Archbishop Rummel High School. I attended the 2019 LASC summer workshop and hope to attend the 2021 LASC summer workshop. Furthermore, I have been a Gym Day Cheerleader for the 2018-2019 school year and 2019-2020 school year, I also served as a small group leader for my class retreat Sophomore year.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I am a servant leader in MCA’s student council because I am not willing to delegate to others tasks that I am not willing to do myself. It is important to me to serve on Student Council to help contribute to the MCA atmosphere and experience. I do this by constantly asking others how I can serve them, help them, and pray for them. I am a servant leader in general because I am willing to take feedback and listen to my peers suggestions and opinions. I want to continuously grow my strengths and my weaknesses and listening to others’ thoughts will help me become a better leader that can serve MCA.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

Time management is essential in every aspect of life. I plan on managing my time by making Executive board one of my highest priorities that I will devote a large amount of time to because I am dedicated and committed. I plan on creating a structure and routine to designate time in my life to focus or my Executive Board duties. For example, I will get to school ahead of time to ensure that I am able to manage my time and complete important tasks and duties.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

Mount Carmel’s student council is special and unique because girls are passionate and excited about serving on student council. I appreciate that MCA’s Student Council offers structure, organization, and routine. The eagerness and organization of our student council is so unique to our school and is what I believe keeps the Spirit of Carmel alive and well. I would work to continue this high level of spirit and enthusiasm and increase it when needed.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

My goal for Student Council is growth, I want student council members to have growth in their energy and passion to serve MCA. I want students to grow in their participation, Joy, and excitement about the Mount Carmel events and activities. I want to encourage students to be eager to make memorable experiences and leave legacies throughout their years at MCA. I will accomplish this by helping members of the student council appreciate their role and the importance of their jobs. I would like to ensure that everyone’s needs are met.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

This past year has created many abrupt and sudden changes that have required people to become better acclimated to their circumstances and surroundings. Online school, distanced learning, adapted pep rallies, and gym/spirit day have been challenging obstacles that we have overcome because we are united, connected, and sheltered with the love of God. I remind myself and others that our time spent at MCA will go by quickly and that we can not allow ourselves to be overwhelmed by a spirit of anxiety and fear.

What strengths did you see in the member-at-large system this year? How will you continue to implement these strengths?

This year I feel as the member-at-large system is particularly strong. Sarah Couret was successful at communicating and keeping all the Members-at-Large informed on an individual, morning shift, and collective basis. Furthermore, the MAL cabinet near the Student Council office stayed well organized and well supplied continuously. Sarah, was very organized and intentional in the way she wanted to achieve things. I will try to emulate her success by putting conscious thought and consideration of the most effective and productive approach to all my obligations and tasks to ensure that I am serving and leading well.

What improvements do you envision for the member-at-large system for next year? Please give specific steps for improvement.

Although I feel that the member-at-large system this year was functional and productive; I feel that many members do not enjoy their morning shifts and are unfamiliar with their shift partners. I believe that shift productivity and attendance would increase if the members-at-large were motivated by the attendance of friends or the lure of friendly conversation. To stimulate this growth and change I would like to get the members-at-large together as a unit to participate in games, ice-breakers, and other enjoyable activities. Furthermore, we could also have WAPY or ‘Thank you’ letter “parties,” at school in the mornings on a need to need basis, where everyone can contribute by bringing something small to eat (given the COVID restrictions) and we can play clean music while doing any extra tasks that may be needed (other than balloons and birthday WAPYs). These are other ways that I can form good relationships and good communication with my members-at-large. I want to be able to continue to improve in office and that is more effectively done when the members-at-large feel as though they can offer me their input and ideas.