Candidate for MAL Chairlady: Savannah Bergeron

Give two reasons why you are running for your position in student government.

I am running for Member-at-Large Chairlady/Member-at-Large because I love to be involved in school activities and events, as well as being a smiling face for people to look up to. I believe I have the ability and dedication it takes to hold these positions, and I enjoy going to school events and participating as a school and as a class. For example, when I went to Back to Brown and SLR, I first experienced the sisterhood and community of Student Council. When I was first deciding on what high school to attend, one of the deciding factors was how MCA was so welcoming and truly felt like home. Then, in my eighth grade year, I participated in Student Council events which made me excited to go to school every day. I would love to hold the leadership position which inspired me to come to Mount Carmel.

List one goal that you would like to accomplish if you are elected, and a few steps on how you would accomplish that goal.

One goal I have for this upcoming year is to fix the atmosphere of the morning shifts. Many times, the mornings are quiet and unsociable and are days when there are too many people at shifts and not enough jobs for all of them to participate. To resolve this and include everyone, I will change the schedule for morning shifts and/or find more jobs for people to do. Hopefully, with these changes, the MALs will be more organized and sociable.

What three traits do you think best describe you?

I would describe myself as organized, determined, and punctual. I show my organization, determination, and punctuality in my schoolwork by striving to be the best I can be, working hard for my grades, and completing all assignments on time. Organization is very important to me because it helps me to work more efficiently and relieves stress. My determination is exemplified through my hard work ethic and dedication to many clubs while still maintaining high grades. I plan my homework ahead of time and schedule it out so that I can complete assignments before their due dates, which also allows me to stay organized.

With COVID-19 restrictions in mind, how have you spread JOY to your peers and used your creativity to do so?

Although this year has been difficult because of masks and social distancing, I have tried to spread JOY by spreading positivity and encouragement. To me, the J in JOY means honoring Jesus. This year, I have found time alone to talk to Jesus and have tried to spread the word of God by being inclusive and advocating for equal opportunities for all, as Jesus promotes in Scripture. The O in JOY means spreading happiness to others. I try to find simple everyday things to brighten my peers’ day by smiling at them or making jokes. The Y in JOY means finding happiness in yourself. Because we spent so long in isolation, I have learned how to accept myself and use my experience to help others accept themselves. I have been able to spread JOY, despite the restrictions, to others through God’s guidance.

Why do you think you should be elected to this position? What qualifications do you have? If you have won any awards or have held any other leadership positions, please list them.

I believe I should be elected for MAL Chairlady/ MAL because I am a leader and have many experiences to show for my leadership abilities. This year, I served as Christian Life Community (CLC) Secretary. As secretary, I gained insight into Mount Carmel’s officer positions, and therefore I will be more prepared to serve as [a] MAL Chairlady/ MAL. Because I have been on Student Council for two years now, I decided to apply as a fundraising committee head; as fundraising committee head, I helped count the money from the Candy Drive. In addition, I was appointed a morning captain for the morning shifts as MAL. As a morning captain, I helped new Member-at-Larges learn how to make birthday balloons and how to make balloon bouquets. Outside of school, I am a dancer and have been an assistant to my dance teacher for 6 years. As an assistant, I lead the younger students by being someone they can ask questions to and am the example as they learn their dances. I have been involved in student government since elementary school and want to continue to act as a leader. In 2014-2015, I was nominated by St. Rosalie School as their 5th grade Student of the Year, which is a Louisiana state organization in which they look for students with great leadership, citizenship, and academic achievement. In addition, I was awarded Outstanding Member of Chess Club in the 2019-2020 school year. I am an active member of NHS, LNHS, MAO, and CLC, teaching me many useful skills that I will use as MAL Chairlady; therefore, I know I can apply myself to be a great Member-at-Large Chairlady/ Member-at-Large.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

As Member-at-Large, our task is to make the school bright and welcoming for all students and to serve our peers while also informing them about Student Council events. I have been a member of Christian Life Community (CLC) since 9th grade, and this year, I served as secretary. In CLC, we make sandwiches for the homeless and hold monthly donations. From this experience with CLC, I learned to value service and I want to integrate those skills into Eboard. Also, during the summer of 2019, I worked in Ochsner Westbank Hospital, gaining service hours and learning how to communicate with others. While I worked here, I found my passion for helping others, smiling at patients and doctors in the hallways, and assisting my coworker in her job. I see Jesus as the ultimate servant leader and try to imitate his actions by valuing my peers’ opinions and working to further their interests. I love the behind-the-scenes role that MALs hold because we can serve our school; like Jesus, we may not always get recognition, but we can still be passionate about our job and spread JOY.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I am prepared to handle the pressures of executive board as it will be my priority. Because I already get to school almost an hour early every day and because I can drive, I am willing to spend as much time as I need working toward the wellbeing of the MAL system. Because I have been able to manage my time well in the past, I believe I will be able to utilize these skills for the well-being of the job. I will delegate jobs to Member-at-Larges, especially Morning Captains. Also, I will stay organized and plan ahead by utilizing agendas, google sheets, and other resources to help me stay as organized as possible. Recognizing that sometimes organization does not fix everything, I will try my absolute best to overcome challenges.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love Student Council because it is so impressive to see the collection of students, working toward common goals. As a community, Student Council enables students to express their artistic talents, leadership skills, passions, and our Carmel Spirit. In order to maintain these qualities of Student Council, I hope to promote membership and a sense of community while on Eboard. I have worked closely with the 2020-2021 Eboard and seen firsthand how they have led the school, and I wish to imitate their leadership.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

My goal is to increase attendance and participation at school events and sports games. I want to offer more spirit point opportunities as an incentive for students who are not a part of Student Council. After a year of few opportunities for participation because of the circumstances with Covid-19, I hope that this will generate excitement about the annual Mount Carmel events. Eboard this year did a great job increasing involvement, and I would like to continue on their path. I think we can increase participation by offering more point and committee event opportunities for student council members.

How have you spread JOY at MCA this past year given our unique circumstances?

After being quarantined for the whole month of January, I realized how lonely it can get, not just for students but also for teachers. In order to spread JOY this year, I tried to bring energy into the classroom and offer my attention even more than I have in past years. I worked to reach out to and support my friends by calling them over FaceTime. Furthermore, I have participated in many club/school-wide donations and activities that promote JOY this year. For example, I donated to the women’s shelter and donated supplies to the hurricane victims in Lake Charles. Although challenging due to the circumstances, I have found specific ways to express JOY this year.

What strengths did you see in the member-at-large system this year? How will you continue to implement these strengths?

I admire the ways Sarah Couret organized and adapted the system to fit Covid-19 restrictions. Specifically, I saw MALS take a more active role in thanking teachers, faculty, and administration for their help in school activities. Showing appreciation is important to keep up morale during this unprecedented time and encourage more participation. I will continue to implement “Thank You” notes for all functions hosted by Student Government. I also appreciated the appointment of morning captains and plan to not only continue this system but also give them a bigger role.

What improvements do you envision for the member-at-large system for next year? Please give specific steps for improvement.

I want to improve the quality of the birthday balloon stickers. I have noticed the birthday stickers are not always neat, but by asking the Morning Captains to take on the responsibility of quality control, the balloons would be neater. In order to achieve this, they can check and approve the birthday stickers before they are put up on the lockers. Furthermore, because my job as Member-at-Large Chairlady is to spread Carmel spirit and make the school look welcoming, I would like to implement a google form for students to fill out if their Birthday balloon fell down or ripped so that we could make them a new one. At morning shifts, there are often people not able to participate because there are too many people and not enough jobs. I would like to allow everyone the chance to participate so I would implement new jobs to take on certain roles in the birthday balloon process. This could be possible by changing the dynamic of the morning shifts: the MALs could create an assembly line or have groups where they work on certain parts of the birthday balloon. In order to increase efficiency in the mornings, I would like to have a meeting where new MALs can learn to make the birthday balloons possibly over summer or at the beginning of the school year. Finally, I would like to increase efficiency and neatness at the Student Council Workshop days over the summer by offering small prizes for people who put up their bulletin boards neatly.