Candidate for President: Katie Bee

Candidate for President: Katie Bee

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running for Student Council President because of my love and commitment to MCA. I have known that I wanted to come to Mount Carmel since I was in 4th grade. Actually being here the last 4 years has helped me grow not only mentally but also spiritually, emotionally, and socially. Mount Carmel has given me a family that I have had like no other. Growing up, I had a brother and never a sister until coming to MCA. I feel like I am always meeting a new sister out of the 1,250 students that we have. This deep love and passion that I have for MCA is just one of the qualifications that I bring to the table. I am extremely passionate and dedicated about wanting to see our school flourish and I want to do everything to the best of my ability to make that happen. I have been on Student Council for the past 2 years and have seen how it is run. I am also in the PATHS program and Ambassadors allowing me to experience MCA events in a new and different perspective, helping me grow and appreciate the people of the school even more. I have always reached out and have been a helping hand with any events. Partaking in many Student Council events like Slam n’ Jam, Cub Crusader Clash, SLR, and much more, I have enjoyed being a part of something that represents the bond of Mount Carmel. These events have allowed me to be involved and experienced in Student Government. With the love I have for MCA and my variety of experience, I believe that I can continue the legacy of MCA’s incredible Student Council.

I am running to be a Student Government Board member because I want to spread my creative ideas in a new way! I have always wanted to be on board because I love to use my crazy perspective into making costumes, skits, scenery, and cheers. I want to be a part of making the Class of 2021’s senior year amazing and one that is simply unforgettable. I am running to be a Student Council Representative because I loved spreading news and joy to everyone in my homeroom. I feel like my service to the people of my class is not over and I want to bring my organization skills and dedication of MCA to everyone. I love seeing the faces in my homeroom when we celebrate their birthdays or they get to see the creative work I have put into my bulletin boards.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

One thing I want to accomplish this year is to make sure everyone has a voice! I want to hear ideas from all the students and just not the student council members. In many of my classes, I have heard people talk about new and exciting ideas that they want to do at pep rallies or sporting events and their idea did not make it up to the Student Council. I want to change that! I want to be the listening ears that everyone wants to talk to about fun and exciting ideas in order for everyone to have a great experience at MCA. I want to engage students in a more variety of activities outside of the Mount Carmel school day such as SLR, Cub Crusader Clash, and Slam n’ Jam. I also want to give active feedback for the students on what they would want to see more of like games and activities at events or picnics as well as fun spirit point opportunities!

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

Three adjectives to describe me would be determined, dependable, and a team player. I give 150% into everything I do and when I am given a task, I go above and beyond any of the limitations that are set on me. I am dependable because I always want to get the job done in the best way possible. I am a people person and care so much that others are comfortable and happy. I continuously want to go out of my way to make sure people feel appreciated and loved. I always want to prove and show people that I am someone that they can count on. I am also a team player that believes everything is done better in a group. This way people get more involved and have a better time. I am able to work with others and help to combine everyone’s ideas to create an even better one. Growing up, there were lots of challenges that I had to face and one being the loss of a close family member, my dad. So since then, as the oldest child, I have had to take up more duties in order to make our family work.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I think joy and kindness are ways of spreading love and one of my favorite ways to spread love is to serve. Serving and giving more than what is expected or going out of your way to make someone comfortable are acts of kindness that are greater than no other. I serve in my community and church by being a camp counselor. By doing this, I am able to be an active listener to any of the kids that want to talk. I attend multiple mission trips with my church in order to show acts of service to other people outside of my area. At MCA, I love to have everyone involved and more everyone to be included. I want to remind people that I am always there to talk if anyone needs anything. I want to be the open ear and the shoulder to cry on for anyone that needs it. I strive to be someone with a positive attitude in which a simple smile or laugh can brighten up anyone’s day. For a long time, I wanted people to remember me as Katie Bee. Now, I want people to remember the Christ that they see in me. Meaning, I don’t need people to remember me but I want them to remember His overwhelming never ending constant love and joy through me.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I think people know who I am but through this application, I have realized that I want people to know my heart and what I stand for. I want to be your president because I would give anything for Mount Carmel. Through this health crisis and not being able to see the same faces everyday, I have learned that I am willing to do whatever I can to be involved and show how much I appreciate MCA. This year, I was involved in Ambassadors, National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Campus Ministry, WMCA, and PATHS along with Student Council. I have received an outstanding member award for each year I have been in Student Council along with Campus Ministry. I have been able to go to many conferences such as the Louisiana Associations of Student Council Workshops to help further grow my skills in leadership. I have also received the Mount Carmel Academy Helping Hands Award for my work and service in the classroom. I have learned multiple leadership skills throughout my time of working as a camp counselor, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society campaign as well as my time in the MCA PATHS program.

Like I said before, my different areas of experience have shown me new perspectives to see and to serve MCA to the best of my ability and I would want to incorporate these perspectives in my duties as Student Council President.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in

Student Council and at MCA in general.

Being a “servant leader” simply means doing something for a greater purpose other than yourself. A servant leader is one that is selfless and strives for the best outcome of the group that he/she is leading. I am a servant leader because I am a team player that searches for the greater goal of all the people. If elected, I will dedicate time and heart into making MCA as best as possible. Like I said in question 4, to love is to serve. I think the best way to show that you are a servant leader is to actually listen to others in order for everyone to grow in love and strength together. Student Council is not a selfish job that requires one individual but a team of dedicated workers that will strive to do what is best for a greater good. In Student Council, I would want to be that servant leader that is not asked and it is not expected but the job gets done.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I understand that MCA’s Executive Board is an extremely time consuming position. In my past years, I have been able to maintain a good GPA in mostly honors courses as well as being extremely involved with my wide range of extracurriculars. By doing so throughout these past four years, I have gained great time management skills as well as organization skills. I would use these skills to balance a schedule that maintains my school work, Student Council work, and extracurriculars outside of Student Council as well as my outside time. I have a planner that I list everything I am going to accomplish that day a certain times in order to make sure everything gets done in a timely and orderly manner. I would do the same in this position and would want to set out a schedule that is manageable for all involved in Student Council. I have been able to manage my responsibilities ahead of time and have created a system for myself in which I will never turn anything in late, sloppy, or half worked. If I were elected to this position, I also would be willing to cut down the number of clubs and activities that I am involved in to focus on my duties as Student Council President.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I think of Student Council as a family that I can constantly go and talk to. Being in student council, I have been able to engage with under and lower classmen and truly get to know them through fun events. I have met some of my favorite people because of this club and would not change any of my experiences for the world. The greatest memories I have on student council are the funny songs, stories, and experiences that we all shared together. I want to encourage the activities and events that truly bond the people of this club together as a family.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Student Council is all about engaging and getting more students involved. I would want to get more students involved and feel like they are appreciated. As president, I want them to know that they have a voice and have someone that is willing and wanting to actively listen to their ideas. By doing this, the students would be more invested in pep rallies and dances as well as sporting events since they would have helped create it. I would also want to increase attendance for games and plays with fun spirit point opportunities. I think by showing these events in a different perspective such as WMCA, songs over the announcements, and creative incentives than people would be more interested to attend. One of the biggest goals I have for next year is to make the committees of Student Council more appreciated and involved with larger decisions. I would want to actively engage in each committee party for them to help create fun ideas and games in order for a wide variety of people to help get more students involved!

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I think that I spread joy at MCA with my want and will to be everyone’s friend. I love meeting people in different grades and sharing funny stories. I think that I am a person that people see as positive since I always try to be encouraging and have a smile on my face. I try to spread joy in everything I do since everyone wants to be loved and accepted and through my actions, I want to show people that they matter. I try to be very involved in different things in order to bring joy to different and more people! I try to spread joy through humor and making people smile and laugh. I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine that could turn someone’s day around.