Candidate for President: Elisabeth Berner

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

Since the beginning of eighth grade, I have held a leadership position at MCA. I have always enjoyed leading and helping others especially through MCA as either a class homeroom representative, board member, or class president. I am running for Student Government President because I’ve been on student council since eighth grade, and I have always wanted to serve on Eboard for my senior year. Each year, I hope to strengthen my leadership skills and think of ways I can better provide to the student body of MCA. Student Government has become like my second family, whether with board or with my fellow representatives and presidents. I want to continue this relationship and step a step further by leading the school. With the past four years, my leaders have welcomed me into MCA and created an atmosphere that I feel loved in. Now, I feel it is my turn to give back to the school. A president’s role is to actively tend to the interests of the students and act as a representative of the school. I plan to work together with the other council officers and represent MCA. I am also running for Class President, Board Member, and Homeroom Representative because I have served on each of the roles at least once, and I have loved being involved in Mount Carmel through leadership.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing

so?

As Eboard President, I am driven to do what’s best for the student body as a whole. I want to serve the school, the community, and the students, so I will actively listen to the concerns of the students. I will work with my fellow officers and the rest of Student Government to make an amazing school year. As Class President, I plan to serve my class, as I once did sophomore year. I loved this experience so much that I would do it again in a heartbeat. I plan to lead my senior class into another year ahead of us. I am running for a board member because I have been a board member for two years now. I love the preparation for gym day and spirit day. I would be dedicated to board and work hard in planning our senior year. Lastly, I am running for homeroom representative because I want to be involved in school through the homerooms. I enjoyed making bulletin boards, and I am very organized with my due dates. I also enjoy celebrating my classmates’ birthdays.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

Dedicated – With all the years I have been on Student Government, I am extremely dedicated to Student Government and serving others. As a member of Student Government, I have to be 100% dedicated and put the needs of stucco and the students first. I will always give everything I have when in office.

Organized – As the oldest of seven kids, I have learned that being organized is the only way to live comfortably. I have applied my organization skills to school, in which I will also be extremely organized on Student Government. I follow due dates and get things done as soon as possible. Reliable – I am a reliable person as I was trusted in past years to be a class president and board member. Many people have placed their trust in me, and I follow through to do my job.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I have spread Joy and kindness among my peers through my involvement in my extracurriculars. As an Ambassador this past year, I have participated in numerous MCA events in which I have grown closer with Mount Carmel Students and young middle schools visiting our school. Ambassadors allow me to help others throughout my school day but also on weekends. I love to make others smile and aid my teachers as much as possible. Student Government has been the greatest gift MCA has given me because it allows me to spread joy in so many different ways. For example, being on board allowed us to spread joy because our class was able to unite with the product board made. I love seeing our class come together and being genuinely happy. I hope to spread this joy to the rest of the school next year as Eboard president.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have

received?

My peers should vote for me because I am extremely diligent when it comes to any student council task. I have served on student government for four years now, so I know how much commitment and dedication it takes to uphold these roles. The dedication I have to serve the needs of the students and my past accomplishments as a leader within the Student Council make me a qualified candidate for President. Over the past few years, I have developed myself as a leader both in and out of MCA. Outside of MCA, I am an active member of my CYO. I also attend and actively participate in many leadership retreats throughout the years. At Mount Carmel, I served the Student Council as a homeroom representative for two years, a board member for two years, and as sophomore class president. I have received outstanding member awards for my extracurricular clubs such as LNHS, NHS, TFL, MAO, and Student Government. I have attended SLR and am very familiar with student council events. I am well prepared for the responsibility and will be excited to serve as the Student Council President.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

A servant leader puts the needs of others before herself and selflessly strives to help others. I embody the term “servant leader” as I strive to listen to others and give them the best of my support that I can offer, encouraging teamwork and dedication to each person in order to really serve them. A servant leader extends the help when others do not expect it. A servant leader is aware of others and cares for others, ready to help at any given time and extend help when needed. As a member of Student Council, I have learned that Student Council is not based on one person. For student council to have a successful year, everyone must work together as a whole; in other words, we must be servant leaders to one another. We must step up to the plate even when not directly asked. I strive to be a servant leader and actively listen to others and grow together. I will serve not only the school, but I will always be there to serve my fellow officers.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

In these past years, I have learned to balance my extracurriculars with school work and even family time. I understand that Executive Board is extremely time consuming, but serving as a leader in student council and many other clubs throughout the years has taught me to prioritize my responsibilities and my studies simultaneously. I write down anything and everything each day in order to keep myself fully organized and on task. I continually check tasks off of my assignment pad in order to stay on top of my studies and not fall behind. I work and study ahead of time especially when I know that my responsibilities will require more of me. There are times that I have to sacrifice other obligations, but I am completely willing to focus my time on student council. Over the past few years, I also have learned the value of communication. As President of the Student Council, I plan to communicate daily to the Student Council members and the moderators to make sure everything is running as it should.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love the family that has grown and the comfort that Student Council has given me. I have made some of my best friends through Student Council, and I want to continue meeting others and underclassmen. I want to continue this theme that class level does not limit you to reaching out to a girl with another mascot. As a whole Student Government, our goal is to work together for the school; so I want to maintain the rooted friendships I have made and continue to develop more. I also enjoy all the Student Council spirit events. I enjoy the pep rallies with each grade’s participation. It also makes me happy to celebrate each grade throughout the quarter with class colors and a treat; it is something I know everyone enjoys.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

My primary goal for Student Council this next year is to increase the amount of MCA student participation in out of school events in order to recognize and celebrate our athletes, dancers, and actresses. I would like to encourage others to attend all events in general, especially the dances Student Council sets up, along with Student Leader Retreat. I believe students will actually attend if they hear it from their friends rather than just seeing it on a poster in the hallway. I want to spread how much fun these events are and get more participation. Furthermore, I plan to collaborate with the rest of Student Council members to gain their feedback of the change they want to see. Whether in pep rallies, picnics, or spirit point opportunities, I want to make a fair system that all students feel they have the same advantage, which I hope will increase students’ participation in events. I feel that these goals can be accomplished, with the help of course from feedback from the students.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

Each day at school, I strive to keep up a good attitude in order to brighten anyone’s day. I am constantly acknowledged by my teachers and my friends on my smile each day, in which I hope to spread joy and happiness to others. I love reaching out to girls in the hallways because it gives us a second to take our minds off of the school day. I spread joy each day in the homeroom, celebrating birthdays, as well as talking to the person in my pod that I do not have any other classes with. This is the way to spread joy: spreading joy does not require a great deed or sacrifice. One must be willing to treat others with respect and reach out to spread happiness in the tiniest of ways. I have always wanted to help others in any way I can, regardless of their grade level. Each day, I try to acknowledge new people and continue smiling in hope of making someone’s day better