Candidate for Vice President: Katie Glas

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I want to be a part of the Executive Board because this position is one where I can really make a difference. I want to be in a position where I can strongly encourage others to step outside their comfort zones and get more involved in the Student Council, just as past leaders pushed me. I want to hold the position of Vice President specifically because I want to be able to connect with the representatives and help them grow as Student Council members. I want to be able to guide them this year and be there to help them in any way possible. As a representative myself, I hope to use that experience to adjust procedures so that the reps can work to the best of their abilities. If I do not have the opportunity to be Vice President, I want to be able to serve as a Representative for my class. Being a Representative is an amazing opportunity to directly help those in your grade and make their day special through bulletin boards and birthday treats. I would also want to hold the office of MAL because they are the backbone of\ Student Council. The behind the scenes work that they do is a job I really admire and would be honored to take part in.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

As Student Council Vice President, I would like to increase communication between the office of Vice President and the reps. As Vice President, it would be my job to look out for the reps and try to help them as best as I can; however, I cannot do that without communication and feedback. I want to create a google form for feedback from the reps about what is working for them and what is not in order to best help them. I want reps to be able to give their input so that they can do their jobs to the best of their abilities. I also want to invite underclassmen to help the Executive Board more than in past years so that they can become more involved. Until this past year, I had not had the opportunity to see what the Executive Board does, and their job is not easy. I think all members could benefit by having the opportunity to get more involved if they want to.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

I would describe myself as committed, reliable, and passionate. When I commit to something such as a project or an organization, I always follow through. Whenever I start something or commit myself to something, I follow through because it’s unfair to those around me who would therefore have to pick up my slack. I also consider myself reliable for similar reasons. If asked to do something, I do my very best to follow through because if not, nothing will get done. Establishing and maintaining trust is extremely important in any job and is best shown through reliability. Lastly, I am very passionate about the things I love and Student Council is one of those things. As a rep, I did my best to do amazing bulletin boards and always bring treats for birthdays not because it was my job, but because I loved it and was passionate about it. I know I can bring that same passion to Executive Board as Vice President.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I try to spread joy through laughter. Everyone knows the phrase “laughter is the best medicine” because honestly, it is the truth. Whenever I am upset or having a terrible day, listening to a funny story or having a hilarious conversation with a friend always puts a smile on my face, and I want to do the same for other people. I like to think I am funny, and I try to use this self-proclaimed talent to try to make others laugh. Seeing a friend or even a stranger upset or stressed does not sit well with me, so I try my best to make them laugh for even just one minute to get their mind off of whatever is wrong. Helping others feel good and have a really good laugh, in my opinion, is the best joy in the world.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I want to be a part of the Executive Board because in my senior year, I want to leave an impact on the school that has left a huge impact on me. Student Council is like a family to me, and I want to be able to do for other students what has been done for me, by helping people get involved and love Student Council like I love it. I am qualified for the office of Vice President because of my experience on Student Council. I have been a representative for the past 3 years, so I know the job of that position very well. I also know what adjustments need to be fixed. This past year I served as committee head for the Fundraising Committee. This job allowed me to learn a lot about organization and the importance of being passionate about what you do. Although the job was sometimes very time consuming, I loved what I was doing so I prioritized in order to contribute the best I could. This year I also attended LASC convention, which taught me a lot about teamwork and how to better serve those in my school. This convention helped me get out of my comfort zone and not be afraid to put myself out there.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

To me, a “servant leader” is not a leader who is in control of those she leads, but rather is one of them. A “servant leader” should be someone who is not intimidating or demanding, but rather someone who works with everyone and is not afraid to ask for help or suggestions. I am running for Executive Board because I want to help make next year special for everyone by taking their wants, suggestions, and critiques into account at all times. I do not want anyone to be afraid to ask me questions or come to me when something is not working because I want to help them. I love being a leader because I get to help others when they need it most. I have been so blessed with the life I have, and if I can contribute to helping others, to me that is the best way to show others and God that you are grateful for what you have. I hope to leave my mark on this school next year by being able to say I was able to help as many people as I could in my time here at Mount Carmel.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I will be the first to admit that time management has not been my strong suit. This past year, in my struggles with managing my time, I have learned what is important to me and what is not. Student Council is something that I truly love and would want to put first on priority list, along with my school work. I plan on leaving a few of the clubs I am involved in so that I have more time to focus on the job that I may be elected to. In learning from my past mistakes, I feel I have grown and I am more prepared than ever to put all I am into the job of Vice President.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I hope to maintain the supportive and positive environment that the Student Council is known for. Each member, no matter their position, works together and supports one another to make sure the job gets done. For the five years that I have been a part of Student Government, I have continually felt the amazing support and positivity from those in not just my own class, but in all grades. Student Council is like a family to me and I hope to continue encouraging and strengthening the bond between everyone.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Like I mentioned before, I want to increase communication between the representatives and the Vice President. I hope to better help them succeed in their positions by making it easier to receive their criticism and suggestions. I also hope to be able to get more people involved in other Student Council duties. For example, I did not know about many of the jobs some Student Council members do behind the scenes until I became a committee head, and I hope to change that. I want members to be able from their first year moving forward to have the opportunity to get involved as little or as much as possible by offering more opportunities to help out the Executive Board as well as with other duties. Finally, I hope to increase recognition for members such as MALs and artists. These girls work so hard to help the school succeed, but rarely receive the recognition by the school. I hope to change this.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I try to spread joy everyday through something as simple as a smile. To me, a smile is not just polite, but it shows others that you are happy to see them and that you are glad to know them. This may seem like a miniscule thought, but allowing yourself to be open and kind to each person you meet in every class is such a rewarding experience. If I connect with each person I meet, even if it is with just a smile, I hope at least one person feels special and loved when they need it most.