Candidate for Vice President: Grace Williams

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

This year I have decided to run for homeroom representative and Executive Board Vice President because I love being a leader and helping others in the Mount Carmel community. I enjoy surprising my homeroom with goodies each month and making sure they know about all upcoming events at MCA. As a leader of the school, I can provide fresh ideas and my organizational skills to the Executive Board.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

During the 2020-2021 school year, I want to be the best leader and role model for others. As a representative, I hope to have creative and unique bulletin boards. Also, I want to make everyone feel special on their birthday. As a member of the Executive Board, I plan to further school spirit, organize Student Council work week, and be there for all homeroom representatives. I want to be prepared and fit for student council workweek. We must use our time wisely and be on top of our game. I will have an agenda planned out by the beginning of the week and make sure I accomplish all goals. I also want to have a winter formal or prom spirit week. This would involve different themed dress down days and fun activities to coordinate with the themes of the dances.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

Three adjectives to describe myself would passionate, diligent, and reliable. I am passionate about Mount Carmel Academy and being a leader in the school. I work hard with any obstacle that is thrown at me, and I will always make sure my work is done as best as it could be.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I spread JOY and kindness among my peers by being there for all students at Mount Carmel. I smile in the halls and always remember that I do not know what someone is going through. Small gestures and friendly words can make someone’s day. Also, if I see a teacher or student trying hard I make sure to tell them I appreciate their hard work and let them know I see them trying.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I have many qualifications to uphold the position of Executive Board Vice President and homeroom representative. My peers should vote for me because I am a hard worker and will always be there for every single one of them. I was elected as an outstanding member for student council and I served as a small group leader for a Sophomore retreat. Both of these awards show how hardworking and dedicated I am to being a leader. I was also blessed to be voted on the Frosh Queen Court during the 2018-2019 school year; this award was given to a student who portrays Mount Carmel Academy with her grace, kindness, and hardworking personality. Being a member of student council, carmelettes, and instrumental ensemble have all taught me valuable lessons that help me be the best leader I can be. All of my awards and achievements in extracurriculars and in Mount Carmel have led me to be a qualified candidate for Executive Board Vice President.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

A servant leader is someone who considers everyone’s needs and embodies a responsible and diligent leader. The main goal is to serve and listen to others’ needs and ideas. I constantly ask people in my homeroom their ideas for homeroom parties or our homeroom teacher Christmas and end of the year gifts. I will consider all student council members’ ideas and always make sure all members know what is going on at all times.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I will always work hard and make sure my job is done as best as it could be. Working ahead of schedule, and making sure all student council members know all information is very important. I must be organized so that all members can be organized. Next year, I will also be a member of Carmelettes. In order to set more time aside for my Executive Board duties, I have chosen not to participate in any ensemble, small group dances, or solos.

What are some of the things you love about the Student Council that you want to maintain?

Mount Carmel is a place where we can all come together and be there for each other. We get to lead the school, plan activities, show our creative personality, and make new friends. I want to continue how fun and creative the pep rallies are, and continue the excitement everyone has when they hear about a pep rally.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

For the 2020-2021 school year, I hope to accomplish many goals such as an increase in school activities, and a closer connection with student council and students. I would like to have a winter formal or prom spirit week. This would involve different themed dress down days and fun activities to coordinate with the themes of the dances. This would also increase school spirit and bring excitement to our school. Also, I want to change the way student council workshop is organized. The past Executive Boards have done a great job, but I want to add on to their strategies. First, we will meet in Duplantis because the student council office gets way too crowded during work week. Representatives, artists, MAL’s, and presidents will each have their own space to work and their own jobs to complete. Second, I will make sure no one is sitting around and everyone has something to do. Third, I will make sure all letters, borders, and accucts are ready for the workweek. Lastly, instead of using paper to check bulletin boards, I will use a google form so that nothing will be lost.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

At Mount Carmel, JOY fills the halls and the students through Jesus, the teachers, administration, and the Executive Board. I spread JOY through Mount Carmel by telling my friends to come to Monday mass with me. I am always there when someone needs a shoulder to cry on or someone needs someone to laugh with. I smile in the halls and make sure I give random acts of kindness throughout the day. Telling someone a kind affirmation can make their day, and encourage them to be kind to others. I always try to ask my teachers about their day and let them know I am thankful for them.