Candidate for Secretary: Grace Popham

Candidate for Secretary: Grace Popham

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running for E-board Secretary because I want to give back to the school that I have learned so much from by working as a leader to make next year another memorable year at Mount Carmel. I am ready to put the leadership skills that I have developed over the past four years to use by contributing to a team whose purpose is to inspire unity and create a better school environment. I have so much passion and admiration for Student Council, and I want to continue to be a part of this amazing organization that has taught me so much by acting as one of the major leaders of this school next year. I feel that I would be the most useful if I were elected to the position of Secretary. My skill set would be put to the best use in this position because as Secretary, I would have to be extremely organized and responsible for keeping track of things, such as the point system for Student Council. I feel as though I would excel in this area of keeping everything orderly and distinctive so that our Student Council can run smoothly. However, if I am not elected as the Executive Board Secretary, I would like to continue in my role as a Homeroom Representative. Being a Representative has been the most fulfilling experience because I have had the honor of representing my fellow classmates. I enjoy expressing my creativity through my class bulletin boards and connecting with my homeroom by making birthday treats. I would love to continue my involvement in Student Council by fulfilling the duties of a Homeroom Representative if I do not have the opportunity to be Executive Board Secretary.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

I hope to accomplish and create a functional and spirited school year with my contributions to the Executive Board. I hope to keep an organized record of the point system for Student Council members and make sure that all events have sign up sheets so that this process can be done without stress. I want to maintain an organized and efficient spreadsheet of my duties as Secretary and fulfill them with my hard work and effort. I can accomplish these goals by working with my fellow Executive Board members and moderators. I understand the importance of working together as a team while also fulfilling my responsibilities that I hold in my position. Achieving these goals will also take a significant amount of work ethic and organization, which I can assure that I attain. Because I have been a representative for the past two years, I have seen areas that I think can be improved upon. For example, I would like to increase the amount of spirit point opportunities and create a more efficient way for students to sign in at every Student Council or sporting event. I have ideas for how we can spread more encouragement for spirit points by creating different prizes or rewards that would peak people’s interest.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

I would describe myself as motivated, organized, and creative. I chose these three adjectives because they speak to my leadership ability and qualities that I would contribute as a member of the Executive Board. I put my full effort into accomplishing the goals that I set for myself because I hold myself to a very high standard. With this motivation and determination to achieve my goals, I also have to be extremely organized so that I keep all of my responsibilities in order. I also enjoy expressing my creativity by thinking outside of the box and reflecting these ideas in the work that I construct.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I spread joy and kindness among my peers by introducing myself to new people. I want all of the girls at Mount Carmel to understand that I am trustworthy and approachable. I allow my peers to see my personality whenever we are in class, at lunch, or walking in the halls. I believe in treating everyone around me with respect and positivity because one small act of kindness holds a lot of power. I encourage my homeroom to participate in school activities during announcements everyday, and I make connections with my fellow Student Council members by being friendly and welcoming in all situations.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

My peers should vote for me because I have two years of experience on Student Council as a homeroom representative. I have loved every aspect of my time on Student Council, and I put my full effort and energy into all of my responsibilities evidenced by my awards for bulletin boards and the Christmas door this year. Along with Student Council, I have been a member of NHS, MAO, SNHS, and WMCA this year. Participating in all of these clubs while maintaining my services and member duties speaks to my organization, responsability, and time management. I also received the awards for most valuable member for WMCA and Sardonyx Yearbook club my freshmen year. On top of these extra curriculars, my school work is my number one priority, as I have maintained a high GPA every quarter at Mount Carmel. Along with my extracurriculars at Mount Carmel, I am also a dedicated member of my CYO and its service team where we organize events and projects that benefit the local community.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

The term “servant leader” means that you aid the people around you by taking a position of encouragement and motivation rather than taking control of the situation. It means that you voluntarily offer your services to those around you by taking charge and helping to organize things smoothly. I believe that I embody this term because I do my work for Student Council out of service rather than self-benefit. I consistently encourage my homeroom and friends to attend Student Council events such as SLR, Slam N Jam, and Back to Brown Bash. I have done my best to contribute as much as I can to my school through the many clubs that I dedicate my time to along with attempting to further my involvement by applying to be a Eucharistic Minister and an Ambassador.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

If elected, I plan to make my position on Executive Board my top priority along with my school work. I feel as though I have learned how to successfully balance my time among all of my commitments by strategizing and making a weekly plan of all of the tasks that I must complete. If after working on my position over the summer I feel that I should cut back on the number of clubs that I am in, then I am prepared to do so. However, I understand the amount of time and effort that is put into being an Executive Board member, and I am more than willing to commit myself to these responsibilities because I do not view Student Council as work. I love everything that I do for Student Council, and it would be my pleasure to wake up early every morning and stay up a little late at night if it meant that I were doing a better job in my position. I understand the workload that I can maintain and am more than confident that I will prioritize my time efficiently and effectively so that my work for Executive Board surpasses the expectations.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love that Student Council is a unified group that is dedicated to fostering school spirit and encouraging teamwork. Every event that Student Council holds has the most effort and passion put into it. I want to maintain this identity of inspiration by continuing the legacy of our past Executive Boards. I hope to further encompass the spirited essence of Student Council in our school so that everyone feels as though she is a part of the Mount Carmel community.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

I want to reach goals with the new Executive Board to continue the legacy that past members have built. One of my goals is to work with my team to accomplish another successful pep rally that goes beyond people’s expectations like the Black Out Pep Rally. I also would like to boost attendance to events that mainly Student Council members go to such as Slam N’ Jam. I can do this by strategizing with my fellow Executive Board members about how we can continue to think outside the box and encourage more school participation. This will take brainstorming, teamwork, and further promotion of our events and ideas. I believe that it is possible to achieve even more student involvement and spirit than we already have achieved in past school years.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I spread JOY at Mount Carmel by forming connections with those around me. I do not take the people in my life for granted, so I strive to treat others with the utmost respect and reverence that they deserve as children of God. I see Mount Carmel as a strong community that flourishes when we are kind to one another. I contribute to nurturing this strong community by helping other students at Mount Carmel feel safe and valued. I hope to spread more JOY at a larger level in my school before I have to leave the Mount Carmel community next year.