Candidate for Secretary: Ashley Heller

Candidate for Secretary: Ashley Heller

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I want to run for secretary because it has been a dream of mine since eighth grade. I have been so inspired by all of the past secretaries because of all the hard work and dedication that they have given to student council. I also enjoy student council and want to become more involved and work more behind the scenes. I want to be able to make the next school year the best that it can be for student council and the student body.

I want to run for homeroom rep because I have been one since eighth grade. I have enjoyed being a part of student council and would love to continue to support and help my school in this way. I have loved being a homeroom rep and creating the best environment with my homeroom. I have loved baking for birthdays, making bulletin boards, and reading announcements.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

As secretary, I would like to make Spirit Points more known to the student body. I think the current executive board has done an amazing job with getting grades more into Spirit Points. I want to take it to the next level and make an even better Spirit Point experience. I hope to make Spirit Point opportunities more known to the student body and come up with new incentives for participation. I also want to help make the student council point system more organized and improve it in any way I can. I also hope to open up decisions made to the entire student council and make any improvements that members think we need.

As a rep, I want to make it the best senior year for my class. I hope to make homeroom as enjoyable and fun as possible because we will not be able to see each other after next year. I want to celebrate birthdays and make beautiful bulletin boards for my class.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

I would describe myself as caring, creative, and hardworking. I think that I am caring because I am always willing to help anyone in need. I always want the best for my classmates and friends and will try to make them feel better in any way. I am also creative. I have always loved coming up with bulletin boards and creating them for my homeroom. The day after putting up a bulletin board and your homeroom loving it is the greatest feeling. I am also hardworking. I have always dedicated a lot of time to school and student council. They are my greatest passions and I am willing to dedicate all my time and work towards creating the best year for our school.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I am always trying to spread kindness to others. You never know how someone’s day is going so I always try to be a kind face that they can talk to. I also try to do little acts of service and kindness in any way I can. Baking for their birthdays orjust making them feel special has always been a way I like to spread JOY and happiness to my homeroom.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I think that my peers should vote for me because I am willing to work hard and dedicate everything to making this next school year amazing. I want to make student council activities like Slam’n’Jam and Cub Crusader Clash more fun and accessible to the student body. I have been a homeroom representative since eighth grade and have enjoyed every second of it. I have also been the It’s Your Day committee head for two years and a Spirit Point Committee head for one year. These positions have helped me learn what is needed of the executive board and how we can make any improvements that are needed. I have also won outstanding members for student council and multiple awards for my bulletin boards. I hope to bring everything I have learned from my time on student council and make an incredible school year.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I think I embody a servant leader by always working hard for my homeroom and class. I always put their needs before my own. I am willing to spend whatever time is necessary to serve them and do whatever needs to be done.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I am willing to dedicate a lot of time and energy toward executive board next year. I have made sure that my afternoons and mornings are always available whenever needed. I will make sure every date, event, and point opportunities are known and written down. I will also make calendars to make sure I am always on schedule and time.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I hope to maintain the joy that student council brings to others. I feel like the student body does not always see all of the hard work that student council members do, however; our events are always fun and I hope to continue that and have even more participation. I also want to continue to have amazing student council events and pep rallies.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

I want to make the Student Council more of a sisterhood. I think as a student council member I am close with my grade, but not as much with other members. I want different positions to become close and more like a family. I think we can do this by taking a little time after meetings to just talk about the student council and any improvements they think we should make or playing a fun game to get everyone laughing. I know that student council is a large club but I hope we can make it feel less large because we know each other better. I also hope to improve the point system in any way we can. We can have weekly updates on the announcements of the standings for spirit points.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I spread JOY at MCA by serving my class in any way I can. I hope to make MCA a better place every day. I am inspired by St. Therese of Lisieux and how she did the little things to serve others and I hope to embody her by doing the little things and sometimes big things to bring more JOY to MCA.