Candidate for Treasurer: Rachel Stone

Candidate for Treasurer: Rachel Stone

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running for this position because I love to serve the students and MCA. One of my favorite parts about student council is that I am able to work to help the students enjoy their Mount Carmel experience. I have experience on both student government and student council, and I have learned that helping with the smallest tasks, such as cutting white ribbon for fellow classmates for the glow-in-the-dark pep rally, participating in LASC to learn key advice for growing student council, and baking cookies for the St. Joseph’s altar are very important in my goal to make other students and teachers smile. I am running for E-board treasurer so I can continue to do these small actions, and also set up new, amazing events for students to attend and enjoy.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

One thing I would like to accomplish is helping student council members feel more involved in the club. After learning about how other student councils run at LASC events, I have talked to many student council girls who feel that they could do more for the club. I would like the members to be able to share their ideas and help make the club more personal for each and every person. As a member of E-board, I would be able to communicate with the other E-Board members and try to make this a possibility. I would also like to bring in my creative ideas to help student council events grow and to help students become involved in them. One of my personality traits is that I try not to let a roadblock stop my plans- I will always come up with another solution to a problem. I will use this trait to make pep rallies, sports games, picnics, and many other events more thrilling for the students. I would also like to possibly start more school-clash events so students can make new friends and grow closer to students of different schools in the area. If not on E-Board, as a representative or board member, I hope to also help either unite student council or help board come up with great ideas for gym day and spirit day.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

A few adjectives I would use to describe myself would be bubbly, kind, and a good listener. I always try to make others happy, whether that be by telling jokes or smiling in the hallways, and I try not to let myself get down. I feel that by being nice and outgoing towards others, I can bring happiness to their day and indirectly help them if they are having a hard time. I use my bubbly personality in my student council positions to reach out to others and make them feel involved and happy in what they are doing. I would also describe myself as kind because I try to put others before myself. I enjoy donating my time to help in different service projects both inside and outside of school. I have participated in club service projects and have done everything from helping tutor in the tutoring labs to collecting food and funds for different projects. I have also helped raise money for different charities through piano events and events at my local church. Finally, I would describe myself as a good listener, because I want people to know that they can come to me with whatever problems they have. One of my main goals I like to accomplish through student council is making people’s voices heard. I believe that the reason for student council is to make the students happy, so I will do whatever it takes to hear their ideas and try to make them a reality.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I spread Joy and kindness by constantly striving to make other people happy. I believe that by focussing on the positives of the day and the positives in your life, you can take any bad day and make it the best day ever. I always try to talk others through bad situations or sad times by listening to them, giving words of advice when wanted, and by always giving hugs. I enjoy being on student council because I feel that I get the chance to talk to so many more people and offer motivational words or words of encouragement. I also try to spread joy in more simple ways, such as smiling at people in the halls. I always try to do this because I believe that you never know when a smile will make someone’s day. There have been many times when a kind smile from a stranger changed my day for the better, and I always try to do this for other people around the school.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I hope that my peers vote for me because of my dedication to Mount Carmel and to the Student Council program. I have been on eight and ninth grade board and have been sophomore class president, and these positions have allowed me to understand both the student council branch and student government as a whole. I have also attended the GNO LASC workshop and LASC so I could learn even more about how student council operates. I would also be dedicated to student council like I am in other clubs. I have been a member of Mu Alpha Theta, the TEAMS engineering team, Altar serving and both the fall and spring bowling leagues. I am also in WMCA where I help film Trend Triers and have helped in the creation of the Film Fest short film. I have also participated in District Rally, State Rally where I earned a superior rating for Spanish Prose, and Foreigh Language Fest, where I have earned second and third place for Spanish Prose. I have also served Mount Carmel by volunteering as an open house tour guide, a spend-a-day host, and a summer camp counselor. Outside of school, I play piano and have been selected for the last three years to participate in my studio’s advanced piano recital. All of these activities help me to grow my character and learn traits and skills that can help me in student council.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

I believe that the term “servant leader” means a person who leads a group through serving that same group. I am a servant leader because I try to put my peer’s ideas into action. I lead by organizing the group and giving support and motivation, but I do not try to take control. I believe that a leader is there to make the group work cohesively, but any great leader should understand that they are just as important as any part of the group. I have learned through student council that a team is like a chain- if you lose one piece of the chain, it all falls apart. In this regard, I try to lead by making the chain stronger and listening to every idea told to me by others. I serve the students of MCA and the student council by putting in my time and effort to make their high school experience amazing. This is where I embody a servant leader- I listen to others and try to do the background work that leads the team to accomplishing great feats.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I have talked through and discussed many plans to manage my time, and my main objective is to put Student Council at the top of my priorities. I will stop participating in certain clubs to make sure I have enough after school time, and I also have been learning strategies to help me with my school work. Since the moment I realized I wanted to run for Executive Board, I have been learning new tactics that help me to stay organized with my work and to help me work more efficiently. By learning how to manage my activities and work, I will have enough time to give to E-Board to make sure it is always running smoothly and creating a great environment for the students.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

One of my favorite parts about student council is the bond the members share. Through many student government events, the student council reps, artists, MALS, boards, and E-Board can grow closer together and form bonds with other girls both in and outside of your grade. I hope to grow this strength of the club and help the girls become even better friends through more events for the girls on student council, including a longer orientation with more ice breakers and small group time for each individual part of student government. I also love the joy many of the girls on student council have for the club. At so many school events, the student council members make sure to show their excitement so it is reflected onto others. I believe that it is important to enjoy the clubs you are in, and I believe the people in this club really do enjoy their positions. I hope to make the meetings more personal for the students, so the student council members could even come up with their own events that they could spread charisma about. I feel like by giving many of the girls more opportunities to be involved, they will give their spirit to help the club grow.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

One of my main goals, like stated earlier, is to help the student council members grow even closer together. I feel that having more events both inside of school and outside of school could help the girls grow together in their individual position groups, and they can also make connections with girls of different positions and in different grades. I feel like this is a key to success because the better everyone knows each other, the better they can work together and bounce ideas off of each other. I also want to help to make the meetings more personal for the members by having them be interactive. I would love to find ways for the girls to help run meetings and change up the structure. It would also be great to even start meetings with little games for the girls to do and become closer together and to also help them laugh after a long day of school. I feel like these small changes would bring the student council closer together so we could make big decisions for the entire school. Another goal I have is making student council events for the students more interactive. I feel that by promoting events such as SLR and Back-to-Brown in different more interactive ways can help encourage more people to attend. I also feel that by changing up how these events run could also cause more students to attend so they can grow closer together to other girls who they might not have ever met.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I spread joy by first realizing the joy I feel here at MCA. Through my years here, I have learned that the MCA joy is made up of sisterhood and faith. I feel this joy every morning when I walk into the school because I genuinely love coming to this school. I love the supportive network of teachers and the kind friends I have made, and I use this joy I feel to further spread it to others. I use the happiness to put a smile on my face, and I hope this smile can spread to others and make them feel the joy as well. I believe that by looking at the positives and focussing on the good parts of the day, such as sitting with friends at lunch, laughing at a funny joke you heard in class, or participating in clubs after school, you can feel the true joy that flows through the halls everyday. I want to be on Student Council so I can spread this positive message and help every student realize the amazing aspects of being an MCA student.