Candidate for Treasurer: Giuliana Renda

Candidate for Treasurer: Giuliana Renda

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running to be a part of the Executive Board because I want to serve a leadership role my senior year. I want to be the person working behind the scenes of the many school wide events that make Mount Carmel a special place. I specifically want to be E-Board Treasurer because I want the opportunity to be the person responsible for all the fundraising drives and budgetary needs of Student Council. I also am interested in studying accounting in college, and I feel like this would be a great opportunity to learn more about the field. Mount Carmel has given me so many opportunities and I want to be able to give back to the school my last year attending it. Ever since I have been at Mount Carmel, I have always looked up to the E-Board as the leaders and role models for the school. They are always such a dedicated group of people who do all they can to make MCA a great place for everyone. I want to be a part of that dedicated group so I can inspire other students to be active in the Mount Carmel community, just like the E-boards always have inspired me.

I am running for Board, Homeroom Representative, and MAL because I have been a part of Student Council for the past three years and I really enjoy representing the school as a leader and helping others get involved in school activities.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

As the E-Board Treasurer I would like to work well with the rest of E-Board to reach a common goal through the use of teamwork and listening to others ideas.

As an Executive Board member, you have to be able to work well with others and put aside differences in order to make the school year a great experience for everyone. I will accomplish this by putting aside my own needs and by dedicating myself to the school and my Executive Board duties.

As a Board Member , I really want to be a part in the making of spirit and gym day by being the person who comes up with the cheers, costumes, and skits. I also want to be a part in planning the many memorable senior events that make our last year special.

As a Homeroom Representative , I want to be the person who makes the creative bulletin boards and helps the homeroom get involved by reading the announcements and making them aware of different events. I also want the chance to be able to acknowledge everyone in my homeroom by celebrating their birthdays and baking them treats to make them happy.

As a MAL , I want to just be able to be a part of student council in general. I want to help the Student Council in any way I can, whether that be making birthday WAPYs or blowing up balloons for different MCA events.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

Genuine – It’s important that a Student Council Member is truly herself and is not putting up a front. I try to stay true to myself and students should be able to tell that I am genuinely happy to be a part of MCA and Student Government.

Organized – Organization is an essential quality for any Student Government position. I am a very organized person when it comes to schoolwork and planning ahead for weekly activities. I know what tasks should be prioritized over others and I am able to get things done in a timely manner.

Creative – Creativity has always been a part of who I am and it really shows in everything that I do. I put a lot of thought into ideas and themes to appeal to the interest of others. I put a lot of time and effort into the creation of my bulletin boards to show how dedicated I am to making others smile.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

In my homeroom, I bake cookies for birthdays to make them feel appreciated and I also try to bring a treat for holidays to make them happy and excited. Because I was a new freshman, I have had some classes with the Class of 2022. As an upperclassman, I make it my mission to help them with anything they need whether that be help with school work or just advice in general. While going through the halls, I try to keep a smile on my face and acknowledge others to brighten their day.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

My peers should vote for me because I’m very dedicated when it comes to any task and I am always here to help no matter what the task at hand is. I have been on Student Council all my years at MCA and I have learned what it means to be an active and involved member. I was a Member-At-Large freshman year and I was a 10th and 11th grade homeroom representative. During the Candy drive, I volunteered my help and I was able to see the roles and duties of the Treasurer firsthand. I also know what it means to be an active Student Council Member outside of MCA because I attended the 2020 LASC Convention. While I was there, I was able to learn some valuable skills of being a great leader including the importance of teamwork and listening to others’ ideas. Some of the awards that I have received are 1st place for Fall bulletin boards, 2nd place for Christmas door, and Principal’s Honor Roll every quarter while at MCA.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

Every leader should be a servant to the people he or she leads. The leader should always put aside their own needs and desires in order to fulfill the needs of the people. As the homeroom representative, I am always there for my homeroom whether that be to inform them about school events or to help them with anything in general. Some days during I.S, I am running around the school making sure things are turned in instead of using that time for my own personal schoolwork because I have to fulfill my role of being a homeroom representative. Through the creation of bulletin boards and baked goods for birthdays, I show my dedication to the people I lead and serve, my homeroom. I believe that being a part of clubs like National Honor Society and Mu Alpha Theta have also helped me become a servant leader because I give my time to students who need it by helping and tutoring them in the academic labs. I always make it my mission to put others’ needs over my own and as a servant leader I fulfill that goal.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

One of the reasons I want to be a part of MCA’s Executive Board is because I think it would be an excellent use of my time during my senior year. Because E-Board is an elected position by the student body, I would feel obligated to make it my top priority. I would make it my top priority to put the needs of the students and the Student Council over my own individual needs. As a person of good time management, I would never procrastinate by getting all my schoolwork done in a timely manner so that I have more time set aside to Student Council and E-Board Treasurer duties. I would schedule my time on the weekends in accordance to my role as an E-Board member and I would limit my social time to fulfill the needs of my E-Board Treasurer duties.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love the willingness and dedication of the Student Council members as a whole, to participate and help plan every event. I love the diversity of skills that the Student Council contains and the collaboration of those unique skills to bring success. Student Council is such a determined group of individuals who are always willing to volunteer and help with any task that needs it. I want to maintain that level of involvement and willingness to help. I also love the range of ages and grades because it allows for upperclassmen to get to know lowerclassmen and vice versa.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

As Treasurer, I want to make different events like the Fundraising Drives and Slam’n Jam more successful by utilizing my organizational skills and time management. I want to increase the overall participation in the school wide events that the Student Government puts on. I would take the time to personally invite people to help with different events and show them that anyone is welcome to participate, not just Student Government members. I have noticed a lower attendance at certain school events and I want to revamp events like Back to Brown Bash and Cub Crusader Clash in order to appeal to the interests of the student body and encourage more attendance. I also would like to take into consideration the opinions and ideas of other Student Council members, not just the Executive Officers or Class Presidents. In order to get feedback from Student Council members, I would like to put a suggestion box in the Student Council office so members can put their ideas and suggestions in. I also would like to send out a survey to the Student Council members after every event the E-Board puts on, in order to get feedback for improvement. We would be able to use this feedback for each event we plan in the future.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

As a Homeroom Representative I spread joy at MCA by creating fun bulletin boards, by baking for birthdays, and by being enthusiastic and encouraging participation in school events. As a student, I spread joy by cheerfully giving help wherever it is needed and by being inclusive towards the lowerclassmen. I make it my mission to help anyone, no matter age or grade, with anything they need whether that be help with school work or just advice in general. I try to keep a smile on my face and acknowledge others to brighten their day as I walk through the school.