Candidate for MAL Chairlady: Sarah Couret

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

As an MAL, I love spreading joy around the school. I enjoy doing the birthday WAPYS because I know people love getting them, and if they do not receive their birthday “balloon” then they track me down and tell me. I have done some for people who did not receive one. It would not be a birthday without a Student Council birthday WAPY. I also enjoy working with the other members of the Student Council to put on events for all students to enjoy.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

One thing I would like to accomplish next year is to make the MALs feel appreciated for doing their job. Many people around the school do not know what MALs do or that they even exist, and it makes some of our work underappreciated. To make the MALs more appreciated, I try my best to show everyone see all of the behind the scenes work the MALs do. I would like to plan informational segments on WMCA to show what all Student Council positions do. The WMCA segments may also encourage more students to get involved in Student Council.

What are three adjectives that you would use to describe yourself and why?

I would describe myself as determined, a team player, and a hard worker. I am determined because I will not stop until I complete a job. My determination makes me a hard worker because I get everything done in a timely manner. I am always a team player because if someone needs help doing a project, or they need an extra person to help, I am always willing to help out.

How do you spread JOY and kindness among your peers?

I spread JOY at MCA by helping others in class if they need help with a problem or do not understand something. I try to encourage people to go for their goals and to overcome obstacles. I want to make sure everyone reaches their full potential, even if they need a push to get them started. The birthday WAPYs completed by MALs also help to spread joy in the school.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I think my peers or the administration should choose me as a Member – At – Large because I feel that my hard work ethic and determination can better the MALs. I know what it means to be on time and how important deadlines are. I am very good at keeping up with my school work and clubs. I strive to complete all duties and tasks before the deadline to reduce the stress on myself and others. I have been a MAL for 4 years, a Bulletin Board Committee head, new 8th and 9th MAL Committee head, and Monday Morning Co-Captain. I have been awarded Outstanding Member for Book Club, 8th Grade Service Club, and Student Council Member of the Month.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

A servant leader is someone who leads by putting others first. Others follow a servant leader because that person is humble and puts what is best for others first. I strive to be a servant leader by always making sure my duties and tasks are completed and jumping in to help others with their tasks. I try to help other students when they are having trouble with school work. I always make sure I complete all my tasks in group projects and my group members know they can depend on me. I think the best example of me embodying the characteristics of a servant leader is my work with the 8th and 9th grade MALS. I remind them of upcoming events and I answer any question they have, no matter how many times they ask the same question. I am patient with them and try to help them as much as I can.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I have a system I use to manage my time. I use two different calendars to stay on top of both school and life. I write everything down on my calendar on my wall and on my phone. I make sure before I plan things that I do not double book myself and stay on top of all my tasks. I understand MCA Executive Board is very time consuming. I am not an officer in any of my other clubs. I am confident I can manage my academic load and Executive Board because I have not overcommitted myself with honors courses. My time is also very flexible on the weekends and outside of school. I do not have many time commitments outside of school.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love the events Student Council puts on during the school year. I love going to SLR, Back to Brown, Halloween picnic, and tailgates. I want to maintain these events because people enjoy them, and I love going to them. I think that these special events are a big part of Mount Carmel, and should be implemented every year. I want to propose new events that people will love. I also like working with all the members of Student Council and forming friendships with students in all grades. This is one of the best things about being a Student Council member.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

A new design for Birthday WAPOYs. I would ask the new Artist Chairlady to update the Birthday WAPYs to keep the design fresh and fun. Each grade could have a different design to make students feel special.

I would propose to have more incentives for events that people do not know about. For example, many people think that Cub Crusader Clash is only for Student Council members. I would make sure that people know that events are open to everyone and make the news wide spread so everyone knows about events.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I spread JOY at MCA by helping them in class if they need help with a problem or do not understand something. I try to encourage people to go for their goals and to overcome the obstacles. I want to make sure everyone reaches their full potential, even if they need a push to get them started. The birthday WAPYS completed by MALs also help to spread joy in the school. As an Ambassador, I spread joy by being welcoming and helpful to prospective students. I also like working at Summer Camp at MCA. I love interacting with the campers and making their time at camp fun.

What strengths did you see in the member-at-large system this year? How will you continue to implement these strengths?

The system for completing the morning Birthday WAPYs worked very well this year. Each group worked as a team to get the WAPYs done in an efficient manner. We also divided the buildings and floors to make delivering the WAPOYs efficient. I would keep this system.

MALs also communicated very well with each other. The current Chairlady would communicate all tasks before the event so we all knew what our roles and responsibilities were. I would continue to use GroupMe to communicate with MALs before events.

What improvements do you envision for the member-at-large system for next year? Please give specific steps for improvement.

I would make sure that all moderators know they can have balloons for their dances because I know that some moderators do not know that they can have balloons.

The MALs need another duty or job since we no longer blow up balloons or take name tag orders. I will work with the Student Council Moderators and the Executive Board to find a job MALS can do that will lessen the workload of either the moderators or other positions in Student Council.

The MALs feel underappreciated. As MAL Chairlady I will make the MALs feel appreciated by promoting what MALs do on WMCA and in the announcements.