Candidate for MAL Chairlady: Kahlé Perret

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government? 

Being a member-at-large has always been my first choice, and I have always envisioned myself running for the Member-at-Large Chairlady position in my senior year. I love being a part of student council because it’s a great community of like-minded students who are truly excited to be involved in all that Mount Carmel has to offer. It’s very rare to come across a member of student council who isn’t passionate about their position and I really appreciate the sense of family that has been created not only in student council as a whole but also among each member-at-large. Additionally, holding the position of member-at-large chairlady would be fulfilling a legacy left behind by two close family friends and my Mount Carmel Big Sis all of whom I consider to be family because each of them was the chairlady in their respective senior years.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

When I tell people I’m an MAL I often get the question “what do you even do.” This can be disheartening at times because Members-at-Large do so much for the school between Open House, dances, Senior Birthday Lunches, and Birthday We Are Proud of You’s. As Member-at-Large Chairlady I want to ensure that MAL’s are recognized for our contributions to the school and its events. Even if the recognition is amongst ourselves, I want to make sure that all MAL’s know that I appreciate them and acknowledge the things that they do. A great way of doing this would be to make We Are Proud of You’s for certain workdays and for me to bring the MAL’s treats regularly.

What is your favorite thing about Mount Carmel? 

My favorite thing about Mount Carmel is that it is challenging. Sometimes it can seem to be a little too much, but I love knowing that everything that I learn here is preparing me to do anything that I want with my life. I feel confident that when I leave Mount Carmel I will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to follow my passions. Additionally, I love Mount Carmel’s focus on service and the opportunities that are provided to us to be active in the school and out in the community, particularly things like Habitat for Humanity, service projects like soap making for women’s shelters in National Art Honor Society, and Box of Joy. These events and Mount Carmel’s focus on service will stick with me for the rest of my life and always remind me of the call to serve others using the gifts, talents, and privileges I have.

How do you act as a positive example to other students at MCA?

I consider kindness to be the cornerstone of Christian leadership. So, I strive to be kind and welcoming to everyone that I come across. Whether I accomplish that through simply smiling at people in the hallway or initiating conversations with others, kindness is a priority of mine. I never want anyone to feel like they are alone or unwelcome. Earlier this year there was an 8th grader who sat near me at lunch by herself. It really upset me that she was alone, so after she declined my offer to spend time with my lunch group I made a point to sit by her every day for about 2 weeks until she was situated with a group of friends from her classes. I see her every once in a while and she seems to have settled in well and joined extracurricular activities with friends. I feel like even the smallest gesture can mean the world to someone and make their day brighter.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I should be chosen for Member-at-Large Chairlady because I’m hardworking and will make executive board my extracurricular priority next year. I’m very passionate about student council and the member-at-large position in general. When I commit to something I do it wholeheartedly and never shy away from doing more than what is expected, which I was recognized for this year as an Outstanding Member of the club. Furthermore, I have so many ideas typed up for the theme for next year SLR, and Pep Rallies because I’m excited for the opportunity to use my creativity to better the school and make the year incredible for everyone in and out of Student Council. In addition to Student Council I’m a member of National Art Honor Society and National Honor Society.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in student council and at Mount Carmel in general.

To me, there is a big difference between a boss and a leader. A boss is a person who simply delegates work and tell others what they need to do; whereas, a leader works collaboratively and closely with his or her colleagues and takes into account the opinions of everyone. I embody the term “servant leader” because I strive to get things done the right way the first time and I never stray away from the work that no one else wants to do. I’ve been a member-at-large for the past three years and served as an altar server at my grammar school for eight years where I became a senior server whose responsibility it was to help new altar servers learn how to serve.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time-consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

Because how challenging the workload of Junior year is, I’ve had to refine my strategies for managing my time and making the most of each day. I love to make to-do lists every night before I go to bed so that I have a purpose the next day. This is particularly helpful on weekends when it becomes easy to waste the day away without doing anything productive. On my to-do lists, I like to estimate the amount of time that something is going to take so that I can stay on schedule and make sure to have enough time to do everything that needs to be done. I think that this will prove helpful on E-Board next year. I’ve also tried to take challenges head on this year. In the past, I would leave the hardest thing for last, but now I do the most challenging tasks and assignments first when I have the most motivation and energy.

What are some things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I love the way that the point system works in Student Council. It does a great job of holding people accountable for their responsibilities while also streamlining the process of keeping track of said responsibilities not only for Executive Board and the moderators but also for members of Student Council. Additionally, I want to maintain SLR and continue to make it a staple of student council for the year. It really is one of the most enjoyable events at Mount Carmel, and I want to continue to promote it not only to members of Student Council but also to those who just want to learn how to be a leader and have fun while doing so. If elected, I plan to devote a great deal of work to make it one of the best Student Leaders Retreats yet.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish these goals?

I think that this year’s executive board did a great job of getting students involved with the quarterly spirit point award system. I would like to continue to forward student involvement in Student Council sponsored events by continuing to incentivize them. To me, the connection between Student Council and the student body is the single most important responsibility of being a member of E-Board, and I plan to do my part in getting students excited about events through promotion on WMCA and elsewhere and the introduction of new events and activities.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I spread JOY at MCA through my attitude and welcoming nature. I want to ensure that all people feel welcomed and included in everything that Mount Carmel has to offer through kindness and openness. I strive to put others’ needs before my own and to never judge a person for decisions they have made.

Rather I forgive easily and put God at the forefront of my life and so, my actions. I hope to use my voice next year on E-Board for others and to ensure a year full of fun and faith for everyone.

What strengths did you see in the Member-At-Large system this year? How will you continue to implement these strengths?

I saw many strengths as a Member-At-Large that I would like to continue next year, including the ability of MAL’s to choose the day that they work their morning shift and the buddy system in which a more experienced MAL works with a new MAL so that they can smoothly transition into the system. I think Liz did a great job this year organizing senior birthday lunches, open house, and winter formal so that things were completed as quickly and efficiently as possible often leaving us with extra time in the morning to relax or study for our classes that day. Additionally, I want to continue to make sure that MAL’s feel loved and appreciated through maintaining the tradition of having donuts for things like Open House and Winter Formal. I’d also like to regularly bake or bring candy of some kind for MAL’s to further acknowledge the importance of the work that they do.

What improvements do you envision for the member-at-large system for next year?

Since MAL’s do such specialized work, I want to hold a workshop of some kind in which each new Member-At-Large learns the process of making bouquets and using the helium tanks properly. I also would like to open the workshop to any current MAL’s who feel like they could benefit from practicing in order to contribute more when we have orders to fill. I also think that it could be a great opportunity to offer points to current MAL’s who elect to come to the workshop. Additionally, I think Liz did a great job this year of planning for Open House. In the past, the process of blowing up balloons and making arches has been a hectic one in which the bell rings and we’re still scrambling to get balloons and bouquets where they need to go, but this year Liz assigned us jobs prior to the day of Open House. I’d like to further the planning that Liz implemented by making diagrams of the bouquets we’ll need for the day and having the girls assigned to the helium tanks come earlier than everyone else so that balloons are ready to be tied and used in bouquets.