Candidate for Artist Chairlady: Sophie Hebert

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running for executive board artists and student council artists because I want to share my creativity with the rest of the students at Mount Carmel. I really think that my artistic ability can represent the livelihood of the school. I am ready to take what I have learned from past artists and share it with those I will be working with in the future if I am elected. Also, I really like working with others, so working as the Executive Artist or just a Student Council artist will allow me to grow close to those who share the same interest as me.

What is the one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position?

I am hoping to grow close with those who have the same interests as me. As an artist, I need other’s input in order to make my artwork the best it can be. Working together toward a common creates bonds that will last forever, so I am hoping to become close with those on student council who will help me create beautiful art.

What is your favorite thing about Mount Carmel?

I love that Mount Carmel has allowed me to meet all types of different people. I have friends that are great dancers, and I have friends who are great singers. Mount Carmel has every type of personality, and I can always find someone to be there for me or talk to. I really enjoy making friends with every different type of personality at this school.

How do you act as a positive example to other students at MCA?

Through my hardwork and kindness, I hope I am setting a positive example at Mount Carmel. I hope that others see my dedication and strive to make their school work the best it can be. Also, whenever one of my classmates is in need, I try to fulfill most of their needs through either lending them a hand or loaning them something they might need.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

My peers should vote for me because I am hardworking and creative. Also, I have been a Student Council Artist since my freshman year at Mount Carmel, so I understand the workload and the requirements for the position I am trying to obtain. One honor that I have received was 3rd place for my poster I hand drew for the Student Council convention that consisted of hundreds of posters from around the state. Also, my design was picked to be displayed on the Annie Playbill for STK’s most recent production. One other honor was my design being chosen for the pocket of the pink shirt that was sold this year.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions in both Student Council and at MCA in general?

I think being a “servant leader” means that one provides a guiding hand to those while helping anyone in need that is part of one’s organization. For example, if I was chosen to be the Executive Board Artist, I will provide for and will help those artists that are working under my guidance. Being a “servant leader” means being open to new ideas and not shutting anyone out. I think I was being a servant leader by helping the new artists this year become assimilated into Student Council by showing them how painting days work and how We Are Proud of Yous are designed. In conclusion, I think I embody the term “servant leader” because I am always open to new ideas while helping guide those that need guidance.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

I have been practicing time management for all of my years at Mount Carmel, but if I win the place of Executive Board Artist I will really need to modify my scheduling habits. For example, I will truly utilize my Independent study time to complete all or most of my homework, so I can dedicate all of my after school hours to Student Council. If I win this place, I know I will not be alone, so I will not be afraid to ask for help to ensure that all of my work is done completely, timely, and neatly. Also, my studying will be done after my school commitments because I will have hopefully completed my written homework during Independent Study. If that scheduling adjustment does not always happen, I am prepared to make changes to my schedule along the way.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

I really enjoy the fun meetings that student council hosts with creative presentations and holiday appropriate events or outfits. I really want to maintain the fun and communal aspect of the club. I really hope to grow close with my artists and other members of the club to make their experience a fun one. This past year I felt a closer connection to the Executive Board, and I would really like for the members of Student Council to feel the same as I did. I want the members to hopefully feel comfortable to tell me if something would not be able to be completed or if they had something they would like the club to try. I really would love to preserve the friendly and communal feeling between the Executive Board and its club members.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

My main goal for Student Council is to creatively represent the Mount Carmel community through pep rallies, Student Council conventions, and student-thrown events. I really hope to bring a more communal feel to the already close student body. I want to have a strong connection between our Executive Board, the members of Student Council, and the other students at Mount Carmel. I think the Executive Board will be able to accomplish this through continuing events like Cub-Crusader Clash while creating new events for the students of Mount Carmel to connect with each other and continue to strengthen their relationships.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I think I spread JOY through my treatment of others. I try to strengthen my relationships with others because Jesus is in them, and I try to see Jesus through them. I really like putting others before myself because I feel like it makes them happy, and in return, God is happy. Finally, I really try to treat myself with respect even through my rough schedules because I know I will not be able to concentrate if my mind is not in the right place. Also, God would not be happy if we treated ourselves poorly, so I try to make choices that are the best for others and myself.