Candidate for Artist Chairlady: Fiona Ching

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I have chosen to run for the position of Executive Board’s Artist Chairlady because I would like to be responsible in delegating all of the creative artwork and duties throughout the school. Art shows school spirit and allows me to express my thoughts and emotions in ways which words cannot. For example, class banners and T-shirt designs add more color around the school and help portray the spirit Mount Carmel has to offer, unlike other schools. Serving on Executive Board would further allow me to exercise my talents and help delegate the artists in order for things to get done easily. Additionally, being apart of Executive Board would allow me to communicate the ideas of students to the teachers. By expressing the student’s thoughts, Mount Carmel would be a place where ideas are freely considered and students can have have a say in what they want.

Serving as a major leadership position would allow me to further expand my skills and broaden my horizons beyond the artists. But most of all, I believe that I have many qualifications and the experience to handle all the tasks that Artist Chairlady must face because I am very dedicated and committed to my work. I will not hesitate to take the extra step in projects and often like to make my art the best that I can.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

By serving as Executive Board’s Artist Chairlady, I would like to have the opportunity to encourage those too are usually shy to step out of their comfort zone and try new things. Many of my friends who are artists, tend to be quiet and closed. Instead, I will try to encourage them that art is a form of expression in which everyone can easily bond over and work together. In order to produce incredible artwork, serving as Artist Chairlady would allow me to listen to the thoughts and opinions of all the artists as a whole because it is all about teamwork and delegating tasks. Additionally, for those students that believe that they are not talented, I will encourage them that they can still be involved in many big processes by helping in simple tasks like the Winter Formal banner. I could encourage students or Student Council members to make small pieces of artwork around the school during Student Council or Art Week to raise the importance of self-expression.

What is your favorite thing about Mount Carmel?

My favorite thing about Mount Carmel is all the opportunities and growth I have been able to achieve. I have accomplished major growth as I have learned to step out of my comfort zone. In eighth grade, I was very shy and often stuck to myself and close friends. But through many classes and clubs, I found new everlasting friendships that have made me the person who I am today. Additionally, MCA has challenged me because it has shown me my potential and how dedicated I am to doing things I love most. Since eighth grade, I have been an active member in NJAHS or NAHS, even serving as an officer position during my freshman year in NJAHS. Then, serving as Student Council Artist for two years has helped me step out of my comfort zone and be more comfortable around more people. For example, I have attended many leadership activities such as Mount Carmel’s Student Leader’s Retreat and Haynes Association of Student Council’s Leadership Workshop. These programs have allowed me to work with all sorts of grade levels and interact with different schools. But most importantly, Mount Carmel has allowed me be the best person I can be with the loving support from my friends and teachers. They have enabled me to never give up and try new things that I usually would not do.

How do you act as a positive example to other students at MCA?

I act as a positive example to other students at MCA by showing them that they can handle what they want to achieve. I have been able to balance all my extracurricular activities and grades, while also balancing a job. I have maintained a cumulative GPA of 4.62 by taking many rigorous and challenging courses. I can show other students that they also can do the same with proper organization and time management skill.. A responsible student must be able to realize what is most important by not getting caugh up in minor problems. I always try to stay positive and try to make other students feel comfortable and relaxed during hectic days. Additionally, this year, I have been actively involved in 8 clubs: Student Council, Ambassadors, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, National Art Honor Society, MCCADD, Eco Cubs, and Crimestoppers. These clubs have allowed me to be an active student in my school by participating in things that I am passionate about. Specifically, serving as an Ambassador has also made me realize how proud I am of all the hard work I have put in and that I can also be a role model for many underclassmen.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

I have many qualifications that enable me for the position of Executive Board’s Artist Chairlady. Starting from 8th grade, I have been involved in an art club, either NJAHS or NAHS. These clubs have helped me bond and meet new people that share the same interests as me. In freshman year, I also served as an officer in NJAHS because I wanted to be a leader to others. I have also been previously commended for my artwork as I received an honorable mention in the 911 Poster Contest and my artwork was featured in the LSU Juried Exhibition. To further expand my leadership skills, I tried out for Student Council Artist and served during my sophomore and junior year. Serving as a class artist allowed me to work with other talented artists and showed that I could work with others with various opinions. I have personal experience doing many things that Artist Chairlady will be in charge of including t-shirt designs and big banners. I was also awarded an outstanding member award pin as an artist this year to recognize all the hard work I had accomplished. Aside from art, I believe I am a well-rounded student that can handle 8 extracurricular activities and a rigorous course load.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

Most of the time, I embody the term “servant leader” simply by helping other students around. Serving as an Ambassador has been a rewarding experience for me because I can inform prospective students why I chose Mount Carmel and how it was the right fit for me. By doing so, I feel like I am acting as a servant leader and feel accomplished as I give back to my school. Additionally, I have earned over 435 service hours during my time at Mount Carmel by participating in activities such as Mount Carmel’s Summer Camp, Vacation Bible School, and Jefferson Parish’s camp for disabled teens. I believe that giving back to the school and community is important because it allows me to be compassionate and be attached to things I actively enjoy every year by being a leader to younger kids. Specifically, I embody serving as a “servant leader” in Student Council because I am willing to take an extra step and make up for the work that others do not do. Although leadership implies taking control and managing all the duties, it also means taking the extra step to serve and help others in their responsibilities as well.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

During my years at Mount Carmel, I have been able to balance my extracurricular activities and maintain my grades, while also saving some time for myself. Recognizing that Executive Board is extremely time consuming, I believe that proper balance is necessary in order to get everything accomplished. Particularly, Artist Chairlady must be realistic about how long it will take to finish a banner or any other major projects. Most of the time, banners are not hard to do, however, they require proper delegation on working together with other artists to fulfill the tasks in a mannerly order. By utilizing the artists, I will properly schedule paint days in advance in order to executive an exceptional banner, that is not insufficient in order to reach a deadline. Currently, I make a schedule every day and create to-do lists to recognize what is most important by factoring due dates or how long a task will take. I am a major planner as I have written everything in my agenda because I need to see it visually in front of me to look forward into the future, not just for the current week. I also try to prioritize and start tasks as soon as I get them and I have learned to multitask many things in order to manage my time responsibly.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

Being on a position on Student Council has allowed me be an active member in my school by participating in many events. Without Student Council, I would miss out on many memorable moments such as STK plays, sporting events, and opportunities to meet new people at activities such as Student Leader’s Retreat. Attending Student Leader’s Retreat for two years has made me want to serve on Executive Board and plan out the fun activities that other students will enjoy. Through Student’s Leaders Retreat, I have been able to meet new people from other grade levels that I usually would not get to talk to on a regular basis. But most of all, I enjoy how different people from grade levels can all work together to make Mount Carmel a better place where students can have a voice.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

Next year, I plan to encourage those students that are not in Student Council to attend more activities and meet new people. If it weren’t for Student Council, I would not have made all the friends that I have today. Student Council has created many of the memorable memories that I will not forget with my friends. I will try to increase attendance in activities such as Student’s Leaders Retreat, Slam N Jam, and the Pink Game by promoting it more on social media. Working with the other Executive Board members, I would like to create a Student Council Instagram Page in which all the activities on Mount Carmel will be promoted. Most of the time, students want to go to things that their friends will also go to. Students will be more engaged and can ask questions that they might now know of directly.

How do you spread JOY at MCA? 

I spread JOY to Jesus, others, and myself at Mount Carmel on a daily basis by performing small acts of kindness. First, I serve Jesus by volunteering at Vacation Bible School every year. I used to attend this camp and it made me realize that God is always by my side where I can depend on him. By trusting in his plan, I believe that God made me attend this camp and go back as a camp counselor to help other kids to realize the same things that I did. Next, I serve others by performing small acts of kindness because it can truly change their day. I try my best to go out of my way and make feel others included whether it is giving them a simple smile or just talking to them. The impact you can make on others can truly change their lives and you can also make friendships in the process. Finally, I serve myself and have joy when I finish a piece of art. It allows me to escape the world and helps me to relax from my problems. Art is my major passion and hobby in which I hope to continue to carry out in the future.