Candidate for Treasurer: Theresa Falgoust

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running for these positions on Student Government because they allow me to best serve my peers and Mount Carmel as a whole. These positions require me to challenge myself as both a leader and a person. The many qualities and skills that Mount Carmel has allowed me to cultivate have helped me become the best leader I can be, and I hope to do the same for others through these positions to make next year truly a success. By being a part of Student Government through these specific positions, I not only am able to exercise my strengths as leader, such as my dedication, delegation, and organization, but also aid others to prosper in the same way I have thanks to Student Government.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

One thing I would like to accomplish this year in my position would be to truly excel at my position, not just do the bare minimum. In order to be a successful member in Student Government, you have to be committed to fulfilling the designated requirements of certain positions; however, although I have made the effort to go beyond what is simply expected of me, I would really like the opportunity to go above and beyond in my position in order to reflect how passionate I truly am about Student Government. I will go about achieving this goal by being open to further developing my skills as a leader. Through attending more workshops such as LASC and GNO or incorporating my creativity and ingenuity to my position, I think that I will be able to successfully attain this goal.

What is your favorite thing about Mount Carmel?

My favorite thing about Mount Carmel is the amazing sisterhood that we have here at this school. Despite the differences in grades or mascots, we are able to come together and support each other no matter the circumstance. Whether it’s for a sports game or a pep rally, the amount of energy and spirit that we bring to all that we do continuously amazes me. The close-knit community that Mount Carmel possesses is something unique to the school and allows it to really stand out. Mount Carmel has provided me with a home away from home thanks to its welcoming atmosphere and spirited people.

How do you act as a positive example to other students at MCA?

I act as a positive example to other students at MCA because of the way I carry myself on a day to day basis. No matter what’s going on with me, I try to go out of my way to make someone’s day a little brighter by making them smile or just being there to listen to them. I aim to find the silver lining in every situation because an important part of being a leader is to remain positive even in the midst of adversity. My composure has allowed me to be the leader I am today, and I would not be the positive example I am to other students without it. I lead by example in all that I do, and it’s an example that I hope others follow because I want to help others realize their potential and find the leader inside of them.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

My peers should vote for me because of the experience I have in other leaderships positions, such as 8th grade Class President and 10th and 11th grade Homeroom Representative, and the wholehearted effort that I bring to everything I do. My prior experience has given me a well-rounded understanding of how to successfully represents the needs of my peers in the various aspects of my position. In addition to my previous offices, my work ethic and dedication are other qualifications I have because I prepared to accomplish any task given diligently and efficiently. I have been an outstanding member in numerous clubs from STK to Cross Country, and I feel that these awards show how much I invest myself in my work and how committed I am to anything I set my mind to, showing why I am a qualified candidate.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general.

What the term “servant leader” means to me is that serving others is to truly be a leader. By being a Bulletin Board Committee Head, my understanding of what it means to serve others has grown into a deeper appreciation of being a leader. As I was in charge of the accucut lettering of bulletin boards, I taught other members how to work the machines and navigate the google order forms, which must be completed before the boards themselves are due. The term “servant leader” is relevant to this situation because myself and others helped make the duties of homeroom representatives easier by alleviating some of process of putting up a bulletin board. My job was not only meant to benefit these homeroom representatives but also the members that had volunteered to help because I was able to show them an important part to Student Council that is not common knowledge. Regarding MCA in general, there are many opportunities to be a “servant leader” to fellow students, such as tutoring in the learning labs for NHS or MAΘ, being an Ambassador, or simply helping out a friend, because each one serves as an example of putting others first in order to learn something.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

Time management is a skill that I am always working on to improve, and I have come such a long way to a point where I am able to successfully give nothing but my best effort without neglecting my other duties. One specific strategy that will help me next year to balance my time is to prioritize and understand what tasks take precedence over others. Sacrifice will be needed at times where the needs of Executive Board comes first, and I completely understand and am willing to commit to this fact. By writing all of my tasks down and their corresponding deadlines, I am able to visualize what needs my immediate attention in comparison to less demanding time constraints. With other commitments such as homework and Cross Country, I will need to find a healthy balance even if that means doing homework well in advance and getting a run in on my own. Successful time management means that somethings will have to give in order to make room for others, so I must strive to be flexible and willing adjust my schedule accordingly in order to account for my duties to Executive Board.

What are some things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

Some things that I love about Student Council that I want to maintain is our common goal, diversity and creativity, and organization and ingenuity. No matter the position or office on Student Council, each member contributes towards one universally shared goal of leading Mount Carmel and its students through an amazing school year. We all work together and grow together in order to make students’ time at Mount Carmel the most enjoyable it can be. Another aspect of Student Council that I love is the diversity and creativity that every single member possesses because we all bring something different to the table in order to create something truly inspirational. Each different position, whether a homeroom representative, MAL, or artist, contributes something unique to Student Council through their different duties, and Mount Carmel would not be the same without its bulletin boards, birthday balloons, or We Are Proud of Yous. However, these positions are so much more than just these examples because of the dedication required towards serving others through their creativity. Student Council is also incredibly organized and well-managed thanks to the ingenuity of its members, which is just one of the many things I would love to maintain if elected.

What goals do you have for Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

A goal that I have for Student Council next year is for more member involvement in order for them to utilize the leaderships skills that they have at their disposal. I think that we can accomplish this goal by providing members with more opportunities to take charge and delegate the work amongst themselves. I think that this goal would motivate our members to take initiative instead of being told what to do. If elected as Treasurer, a goal that I would have for Student Council next year pertains to Mount Carmel’s numerous fundraising drives and how to alleviate more stress or confusion from the process. As these drives usually involve packets of information and deadlines as well as people remembering to endorse the drives, there is a lot of room for miscommunication to occur, but we can try to eliminate some stress and confusion is to increase our advertisement of these drives around the school.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

Through Mount Carmel’s many religious and spiritual opportunities offered, such as Come Lord Jesus, Weekly Masses, and the Rosary, I find myself leading by example because of others’ hesitancy to participate. I am willing to put myself out there in order to make them feel more comfortable expressing their relationship with Jesus. For others, my involvement in a diverse amount of clubs and extracurriculars has allowed me to meet many interesting and unique people that I would not have met otherwise. While every single one of them has made a lasting impression on me, I hope to have made an impression on them as well because I always strive to be welcoming and friendly, trying to treat others with the same respect that I would want, in order to show how effective and impacting kindness can be. Regarding myself, I have a very outgoing personality, but I still recognize that there is always room for growth and improvement. I never turn down an opportunity to learn something new, and I think that this lesson is applicable to everybody because JOY at MCA means to help others be their best selves.