Candidate for Secretary: Molly Sirera

Why are you running for your desired positions on Student Government?

I am running because I have always loved being apart of student council and have always dreamed of being a member of the executive board. Working with Katie this year as the spirit point committee head I was able to see the roles and responsibilities of Secretary and what it takes. Seeing this made me even more want to take on this challenge. I understand the amount of work this position entails and I am ready to put forth my best effort to make next year successful.

What is one thing you want to accomplish this year in your desired position? How will you go about doing so?

One thing I would like to accomplish as secretary this year is creating easier sign-ups for all committee events and spirit point events. At the end of this year we began a new procedure for Spirit point committee workers and I would like to apply this to all sign-ups. This would make it easier for members of Student Council to sign-up to work committee events and spirit point events.

What is your favorite thing about Mount Carmel?

My favorite thing about Mount Carmel would have to be the baked potatoes at lunch, because I love baked potatoes, and also the sisterhood here at Mount Carmel.I came to Mount Carmel knowing no one and I was welcomed with open arms and began a whole new journey. I have been able to make friends, join clubs, and excel in my studies here at MCA. I truly believe I would not be the person I am today without Mount Carmel in my life.

How do you act as a positive example to other students at MCA?

I am always eager to make new friends and talk to other people here at MCA. No matter what grade I love meeting new people and hopefully make a new friend. I think reaching out and getting to know others that I don’t necessarily have class with really makes the school more of a sisterhood. I love making a stranger into a friend and someone to smile at in the hallway.

Why should your peers vote for you? What qualifications do you have? Are there any awards you have received?

You should vote for me because I will always make decisions with you in mind. I know what the student body wants, and am ready to bring ideas to make Mount Carmel Events even better. I have taken on other roles in Student Council such as Spirit Point Committee head this year. As committee head, I organized all of the sign in sheets at various sporting events, dance shows, and concerts; kept track of upcoming events; managed the shifts of committee workers; and oversaw all aspects of spirit points and the committee events. Outside of Mount Carmel I serve on my Church parishes CYO executive board. I have won leadership awards such as Outstanding youth given by the Archdiocese and also outstanding leadership award in grammar school.

How do you embody the term “servant leader”? Be specific about your contributions both in Student Council and at MCA in general?

I embody the term “servant leader” by donating my time and effort without thought of the regonigation that I may or may not receive. I love student council and doing what I do, that I do not care if others see the work that I put into everything I do. I volunteered to take on extra rolls in student council such as doing extra bulletin boards and becoming spirit point committee head. I also donate my time being a executive on my CYO organizing social events, sports teams, and service days.

Recognizing that MCA’s Executive Board is extremely time consuming, how do you plan to manage your time next year if you win? Be specific about your strategies for time management.

As a junior this year my time management skills have very much improved. I have balanced class work, student council, CYO, and also donating my time to service. I always do work a few days in advance and never cram homework into the night before. I also keep a very extensive calendar to evaluate my week and organize my time. I plan out my days the night before with a to-do list every day which helps me make sure I do not forget anything. I feel like I will be able to manage my time next year and be able to accomplish all of my responsibilities with 110% effort and always on time.

What are some of the things you love about Student Council that you want to maintain?

A few things I love about Student Council is the variety events we out on and plan. From picnics, Winter Formal, and SLR. There is never a dull moment in student council where there is nothing to do, you are constantly at service to others and making others happy. I believe Student council brings happiness and a little color to the school, to make the lives of the students more enjoyable. So I would like to keep the upbeat attitude and presence Student Council brings to MCA.

What goals do you have to Student Council next year? How do you think we can accomplish those goals?

One goal I have for Student Council next year is to incorporate more girls into decision making. For examples asking homeroom if they would like or enjoy picnics on certain dates or what there take is on a certain problem or situation. Or simply just asking what they enjoy or like seeing at pep rallies so we can make them more exciting for all students.

How do you spread JOY at MCA?

I spread JOY at MCA by making others feel welcomed at all times. I put Jesus before others and myself. I enjoy attending retreats, mass, and CYO activities to get to know more people that I otherwise would not be able to meet. I always try to make others happy and do what they ask of me. I love helping out even when it is not required of me. I find JOY in myself when I put a smile on someone else’s face.