Echoes of Carmel

What Does Christmas Mean to Me?: A Reflection

How frequently do you reflect on what Christmas means to you? What are your traditions? How can you give back?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Unlike most people, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, not Christmas. I love eating all of the scrumptious food, spending time with my family, and sleeping in until noon. But as soon as Thanksgiving is over, Christmas begins.

Although Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, the Christmas season is my favorite season of the year. When I think of Christmas the first thing that comes to mind is family. The Christmas season also brings so much joy into my life in small ways. I smile while walking past Christmas tree lots, smelling homemade cookies in the oven, and even watching Elf for the millionth time. The Christmas season allows me to appreciate the little things in life while spending time with my family and friends. The Christmas season is full of family traditions and unforgettable moments.

One tradition I will never forget happens on Christmas Eve every year. All of my aunts and cousins gather at my grandparents house, and we prepare food for Christmas day. For me, Christmas is more than gifts and presents. I love to give back during this special time of the year, whether it involves volunteering at my Church, helping my brothers with homework, or giving advice to one of my friends, I enjoy performing little actions like these because they can put a smile on someone’s face.

I challenge everyone to find happiness in unthinkable places or things this holiday season. While you look for happiness in small things, you will soon discover yourself and what God calls you to.