Echoes of Carmel

Filed under Student Life

We Are Proud of You! Brown Foundation 2018

The Joe W. and Dorothy Dorsett Brown Foundation held its annual Service Learning Celebration at the Pontchartrain Center on Sept. 11, 2018. The Foundation awarded Mount Carmel Academy two checks: one for $19034.00 for grants submitted for the school year and one for $1000 for the principal to use for a service learning project. The clubs who received grant money were represented at the event by their presidents and members.

Students who were in attendance were: Katie Cannon, Victoria Delacruz, Juliana Gomez, Danna Masri, Vivianne Pigeon, Mary Elizabeth Pontin, Paris Prince, Destiny Sanders, Mia Sarpy, Emily Scalfani, Kameron West, and Izzy Whitfield. Thank you for doing an amazing job of representing our school!

Mount Carmel students spent the morning giving presentations and visiting the service learning expo, which included over 60 booths designed for schools to meet service partners and to learn new service ideas. Members of the Eco-Cub Club made a short presentation about the study of the animal food chain in relation to their environment.  Our MCCADD members (Mount Carmel Cubs Against Destructive Decisions) had a display focusing on their MCCADD on Wheels program. Their display was an interactive “hands-on” demonstration simulating driving (using Wii Mario Kart) or walking a line while wearing drunk driving goggles to simulate impairment. Many schools visited their display and asked questions about beginning their own service learning ventures, and many others invited us to their school to do a presentation.

We are proud of you!