Echoes of Carmel

Filed under Books, Entertainment, Movies

Battle of the Books Versus the Movies!

There is one question that fans can never decide on. Which was better – the book or movie? Sometimes movies can leave out iconic scenes from books, but sometimes the book doesn’t give you as much insight into the character as the movie may. It’s time for you to be the judge of that!

Shrek!

Yes, this is the book that inspired the award-winning movie that is Shrek; however, William Steig’s picture book spotlighted neither Lord Farquaad, the Gingerbread Man, nor any of the fairytale characters featured in the movie. Steig’s narrative tells the story of Shrek, a hideous ogre, joined by Donkey to find a princess whom was said to be uglier than Shrek himself. DreamWorks paid Steig $500,000 for the rights to his book, and, as you can see, the novel was put to good use as the tale blossomed into the four movies we now know and love today.

The Bridge to Terabithia

Written by Katherine Paterson in 1977, The Bridge to Terabithia tells the story of Jesse Aarons and Leslie Burke as they cope with the troubles of everyday life, such as bullies and family turmoils, by slipping themselves into a world of their own. They use their imaginations to conjure up the world of Terabithia, a wondrous land on the other side of the creek. Jesse and Leslie dedicate themselves to defeating the haunts and frights of the land which parallel to their real-world problems. In this heartbreaking tale, you will find yourself chuckling, wondering, and all out crying.

The Lord of the Rings Series

Winning seventeen Academy Awards, Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings book to movie adaptations sparked interest among the readers of J.R.R. Tolkien’s series. Though there are some differences in the movie adaptation, the overall theme is the same, making the on-screen showing a well-rounded production.

“If J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings is the fantasy author’s bible, then Peter Jackson’s three-film adaption is the fantasy director’s gospel.”-Anonymous

To All the Boys I Loved Before

With three books in the series by Jenny Han, Netflix’s adaptation of To All the Boys I Loved Before sums up the tale of Lara Jean Song Covey and how her life got flipped upside-down when five love letters she had written over the course of her life get sent out, leaving her in a state of both confusion and embarrassment. Both the book and the movie are a heart-warming tale of romance and the importance of family.

Wonder

Fifth grade can be tough – especially when it is the first time being taught in an educational facility. Wonder tells the tale of August Pullman, a boy faced with Treacher Collins Syndrome and, in the book, hearing loss. Wonder is a heart-wrenching story of acceptance and understanding your place in the world.

About the Writer
Raleigh Lusignan, Staff Writer

I’m Raleigh Lusignan, and I am in eighth grade. I’m involved in Echoes, Quiz Bowl, and Chess Club; I love nature, supporting the environment, and animals....