Candidate for Vice President: Sophie Mae Brady

• What about Mount Carmel inspires you to be a leader? How do you think you could serve
    the needs of school specifically?

Mount Carmel inspires me to lead because our close community makes me want
    to help people. My goal in life is to make others smile and through Mount Carmel
    I have been able to do this often. Whether I am smiling at someone in the hallway
    or leading the school in a cheer off, I always feel so excited to see others smile.

• What is one quality that sets you apart as a leader? Name one concrete way that you can
    see yourself using this quality in your desired position.

One quality that sets me apart as a leader is my ability to put others in front of
    myself. When I am working on a project I always look at the big picture and try to
    do what is most convenient for everyone. I can see myself using this quality when
    trying to plan events such as bulletin board days and accucut workdays.

• In what specific area of leadership would you like to grow this year? How would service on MCA’s Student Government help you grow in that area?
    One area of leadership that I would like to grow in this year is delegating. I often
    tend to try to do jobs all myself but this year I would like to distribute tasks to
    people more evenly.

• What are some accolades you have received for your service, both in and out of Mount
    Carmel? For example, have you ever earned an outstanding member pin? Have you ever
    been distinguished in any way for you have done?

I have received an outstanding member pin for Student Council, Game Squad
    Cheer, and FNHS. I have also been awarded the President Ronald Reagan
    Leadership Award. Outside of Mount Carmel I was selected to be a Junior
    Counselor at the Greater New Orleans Association of Student Councils workshop.

• How do you act as a faith leader, both in and out of Mount Carmel?
    I have acted as a faith leader by serving the Lord on his altar. I am a strong believe
    that as leaders we are to act as Jesus did and serve people.

• What other clubs are you involved in? What other clubs do you plan on joining next year?
    I have been involved in Student Government since 8th grade and have been on
    Student Council since freshman year. I have been on the Game Squad
    cheerleading team for the past three years and I served as a Co­Captain this past
    year. I have been a member of the French National Honor Society for the past two
    years. I served as an Ambassador this past year. I have served as an altar server
    for the past three years. I have been a member of the International School of
    Louisiana’s Circus Arts team for the past five years and I continue to perform as
    well as lead and teach. I have applied to serve as an Eucharistic Minister and a
    Come Lord Jesus Leader for next year.

• What is your leadership experience both in and out of MCA?
    At MCA my leadership experience consist of four years on student government
    and three years of Student Council. For two years I have served as a committee head for the bulletin Board Committee as part of Student Council. Outside of MCA I have attended the Louisiana Association of Student Councils summer workshop and convention for the past two years. I have represented Mount Carmel at the Catholic Leadership Institute this past summer.

• How have you consciously tries to develop yourself as a leader this past year?
    One way that I have consciously tried to develop myself as a leader was by taking
    on the leadership roll of Co­Captain of the Game Squad Cheerleading team. I
    learned many lessons this year but the things I took away most was how to work
    with different leadership styles. I learned that I need to be more patient with
    people who have different opinions than me and how to see multiple approaches
    to different situation.

• What is one flaw that might get in your way to serve on Executive Board to the best
    ability? (academic course load, involvement in other clubs, after school jobs, etc.)

One flaw that I have been working on, is that I tend to do everything myself
    instead of delegating the work equally. I feel like in the past year I have learned to
    delegate more and let other people help me with my workload. I plan put what I
    have learned this year to be the best Vice President for you in the year to come.

• When is a time that you served without receiving accolades? Be specific.
    One example of a time I served without receiving accolades was my experience
    with Bulletin Board Committee. Many people think that since I am an MAL I do
    not know a lot about bulletin boards but in reality I know many things about them.
    Having served on this committee I have learned so many things about bulletin boards and I have grown to love the work. Over the past year I have tried to spread the word about the work that I have done for this committee. Even though I do not always get recognition for the work I do, it worth it because of how many people I have helped.

• How are you effective, and what is your strategy for time management? Be specific.
    I have a color coded planner that I use to help make sure everything gets done. I
    try not to schedule too many things on the same day. If I have to schedule multiple
    things on the same day, I make sure I will have enough time in between to get
    where I need to be and to get ready for whatever it is I need to do.

• How do you model kindness and gratefulness to your administration, teachers, and peers? Give specific examples.
    I model kindness and gratitude to my administration, teachers, and peers by
    always making sure people know how grateful I am for their assistance whether it
    is a face to face thank you, a thank you note, or even an email to say thanks for
    what you’ve done to help me. I also go out of my way to be kind by holding doors
    open, saying hello to people in the hallway or simply smiling at people.