Candidate for Secretary: Katie Poirier

• What about Mount Carmel inspires you to be a leader? How do you think you could
    serve the needs of this school specifically?

Seeing all of the other leaders in this school is what truly inspires me to grow as a leader. Everyone seems to have their own style and sense of creativity, which is what makes this school unique. Over the past three years that I have served as a representative on Mount Carmel’s Student Government, I have grown to have a huge appreciation for organization and creativity. If I am elected as Secretary, I will strive for organization and creativity in all areas, including ideas from others. If I am elected as a homeroom representative, I will strive for the same
    organization and creativity within my homeroom.

• What is one quality that sets you apart as a leader? Name one concrete way that you
    can see yourself using this quality in your desired position.

I believe that I have many qualities that a typical leader has; however, there are a
    few that I think stick out beyond other leaders. First, I am organized with
    everything I do. All things I have are color coated with different meanings and I
    keep reminders and to-do lists on my phone. Essentially, the Secretary’s job is to
    organize Student Council. Between spirit points, Student Council points,
    upcoming dates, and using canvas, organization is an important skill for the
    person who assumes this position. I believe that I can use my extreme
    organizational skills to benefit Student Council, as well as the whole school, to
    keep it efficient and coordinated.

• In what specific areas of leadership would you like to grow this year? How would
    service on MCA’s Student Government help you grow in this area?

This year, I would like to grow in working with others. Sometimes, I believe that
    it is easier for me just to do it all of the work myself; this year, I would like to
    work on delegating and incorporating others in my work. To grow, I’ve
    recognized that this is something I need to work on, and I will listen to others and
    delegate tasks. This will help me work better with others and not get frustrated
    with them easily.

• What are some accolades you have received for your service, both in and out of
    Mount Carmel? For example, have you ever earned an outstanding member pin?
    Have you ever been distinguished in any way for work you have done?

Last year I acquired over 100 service hours and was awarded for this service; this
    year I have earned over 85 service hours. In 8th grade, I received an outstanding
    member award for Student Council as a representative and for Game Squad
    Cheerleading as the school mascot, Coco the cub who is considered to be on the
    Game Squad. This year I received another outstanding member award for Student
    Council.

• How do you act as a faith leader, both in and out of Mount Carmel?
    In my parish, I am very active in my confirmation group. We attend overnight
    retreats, festivals such as Abbey Youth Fest and World Youth Day, and we meet
    in small groups monthly to discuss various religious topics. I also attend mass
    every weekend with my family. At Mount Carmel, I am reverent in school masses
    and active in my religion class. I often lead prayer in my classes and I try to make
    the most of the faith filled experiences that Mount Carmel already provides.

• What other clubs are you in? What other clubs do you plan for join next year?
    This year I am a member of Student Council as a representative, Multicultural
    club, Mu Alpha Theta, Book Club, and MCCADD. Next year I plan to be a
    member of Student Council, National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor
    Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Ambassadors, and MCCADD.

• What is your leadership experience, both in and out of MCA?
    At Mount Carmel, I have led my class as a homeroom representative for the past
    three years. I have also led my class along with a few other girls by participating
    as a Gym Day Cheerleader for the past three years in a row. I also would like to
    believe that I lead many of my friends to success by helping them with
    homework, studying for tests, and reminding them about events such as Student
    Council week, pep rallies, dress down days, sporting events, and other activities. I
    attended several leadership retreats this year including SLR and HASC, which is
    similar to LASC (Louisiana Association of Student Councils) since I could not go
    last summer.

• How have you consciously tried to develop yourself as a leader this past year?
    This year, I realized that I am capable of doing much more for Student Council
    than I have in the past, so I decided to apply to be the head of the spirit point
    committee. This experience allowed me to work with more people than I ever
    have and to put my organization skills into action. It also allowed me to see the
    job of Executive Board Secretary in depth and what is required of the person in
    this position. Being a committee head allowed me to dive deeper into Student
    Council and be more involved. Along with this new position, as previously said, I
    last summer.

• What is one flaw that might get in your way to serve on Executive Board to the best
    of your ability? How will you consciously address this flaw to ensure you serve to
    the best of your ability?

A flaw that might get in my way to serve on Executive Board is how I
    academically challenge myself by choosing to take difficult courses next year. I
    am expecting a difficult Junior year, but I have recognized that I cannot do
    everything, so I have planned my year and effectively balanced my workload
    between school and Student Council. I have selected to take three honors courses
    next year as well as an Advanced Placement course. Like I have this year, next
    year I will manage my time as best I can and try not to let my academics affect
    my other work for Student Council by delegating certain tasks to certain days and
    times.

• When is a time that you served without receiving accolades? Be specific.
    One experience that I was fortunate enough to have was when I served as the
    mascot, Coco the Cub. I attended many, many events for Mount Carmel,
    including the majority of the events that the Ambassadors and the Game Squad
    Cheerleaders attended. I can confirm that the mascot really goes unnoticed; no
    one even knew it was me! Furthermore, serving as a homeroom representative
    and spirit point committee head has made me realize how much work in Student
    Council goes unnoticed. Besides bulletin board awards that are given out,
    homeroom representatives never specifically get thanked for all of they work they
    do. As for the spirit point committee, they attend numerous events, even though
    difficult situations, such as events being on a night before a big test, yet they
    rarely complain. Being the head of this committee, I have put in countless hours
    to make sure that these events run smoothly. Even for a small or short event, I
    have worked to make sure there is no confusion or lack of organization.

• How are you an effective time manager, and what is your strategy for time
    management? Be specific.

I believe that I am an extremely effective and strategic time manager mainly
    because of the way I use tools such as Google Calendars and online to-do lists. I
    also like to plan my events ahead of time to make sure everything runs smoothly.
    For example, every weekend I look at what activities and homework I have lined
    up for the week and I create a to-do list for each day of the week. I add to these
    to-do lists as needed throughout the week, but it makes my life easier because my
    week is already planned and I already know exactly what I have to do each day. I
    also keep a very detailed online calendar which I check and update several times
    daily. Lastly, I like to do as many assignments over the weekend or in advance to
    make my week less stressful.

• How do you model kindness and gratefulness to your administrators, teachers, and
    peers? Give specific examples.

a. Although I am often tired in the morning like any other Mount Carmel student, I
    try my best to show enthusiasm in the classroom and show the teachers that what
    they do really matters. When I email my teachers or administrators, I always close
    my email by saying thank you because I understand that their jobs are difficult
    and that they care about us. I speak to my administrators, teachers, and peers with
    respect and gratitude because they deserve it. Moreover, I often help my peers
    with homework, studying, reminders, and anything else I can do for them. For
    example, I often make study guides or test reviews, and rather than only using
    them for myself, I offer them to others because I know that they may help my
    peers. Another example is when I text my homeroom and friends reminding them
    about events such as Student Council week, pep rallies, dress down days, sporting
    events, and other activities. I constantly thank people all around Mount Carmel,
    even for the little things such as pushing the door open very wide because they
    see that someone is behind them. Overall, I constantly appreciate everything that
    my administrators, teachers, and peers do.