Candidate for Treasurer: Tessa Nicosia

• What about Mount Carmel inspires you to be a leader? How do you think you could serve
    the needs of this school specifically?

For me, Mount Carmel is a place where I feel happy most of the time because of my peers and
    teachers, who make my day. I want to be a leader who serves the people of Mount Carmel by
    being a friend to everyone and helping others not only with schoolwork, but by making sure they
    are happy when they are at school. Even though school can be a hard and rigorous, I want to
    serve as a leader and help brighten other people’s day by being kind and caring towards
    everyone. Mount Carmel is a happy place for me because of my friends, and I want to make
    Mount Carmel a happy place for others through my actions. I think that through my actions of
    being kind to everyone and working to make others happy, I can serve as an example to my peers
    because I can serve as a good influence for them. I also think that I could serve the school by
    bringing new ideas to Student Council that get more people involved in Mount Carmel.

• 2. What is one quality that sets you apart as a leader? Name one concrete way that you can
    see yourself using this quality in your desired position.

I am an extremely reliable leader. If a person asks me to do something, I will make sure it is done
    in an efficient and timely manner. I can be trusted with different responsibilities because I will
    always get my tasks done and will not rely on others to do my work. I believe that this quality is
    important in a treasurer because the treasurer is responsible for keeping track of the money.
    Because of this quality of reliability, I believe that I can need be trusted to handle the money and
    to get all the different other tasks assigned to me done in a timely manner. I think it is important
    for a leader to be reliable because a leader should not depend on others to do his or her work for
    him or her.

• 3. In what specific area of leadership would you like to grow this year? How would service
    on MCA’s Student Government help you grow in that area?

This year, I want to be even more open to people’s opinions and to try to incorporate their ideas
    into what is going on at Mount Carmel. Service on MCA’s Student Government would help me
    grow in this area because, as a member of MCA’s Student Government, I could be available eot
    hear more ideas and work to incorporate different ideas into the activities MCA does. Serving as
    a member of executive board would give me more direct contract with other students, and I
    would work to use their ideas in different activities and events that Student Government
    sponsors. I think that everyone’s opinions matter, and I want to work on listening to everyone’s
    opinions and ideas on how to make Student Government and Mount Carmel better for the
    students.

• 4. What are some accolades you have received for your service, both in and out of Mount
    Carmel? For example, have you every earned an outstanding member pin? Have you ever
    been distinguished in any way for work you have done?

In Freshman year, I received an outstanding member pin for Book Club. Last semester, I earned
    an outstanding member pin for Ambassadors. Every year since being at Mount Carmel, I have
    received the bronze service pin because I completed more than 100 service hours each year.

• 5. How do you act as a faith leader, both in and out of Mount Carmel?
    I act as a faith leader in Mount Carmel by being a kind, helpful person to everyone. I believe that
    my actions influence others; thus, by being a kind person to everyone, I am doing what Jesus did,
    which was be kind and loving towards everyone. By being generous to everyone, I believe I am
    being a faith leader because Jesus tells us to love one another. I also act as a faith leader by
    attending mass every Tuesday, which I think is important as a faith leader because it encourages
    others to attend weekly Mass and encourages them to grow in their faith. Outside of Mount
    Carmel, I am involved in CYO. This year, I serve as my grade’s representative on the board
    which I think is important because I am able to act as a good influence and faith leader to my
    peers in CYO.

• 6. What other clubs are you in? What other clubs do you plan to join next year?
    This year, I serve as a representative on student council and secretary of CLC. In addition, I am
    an Ambassador and am involved in NHS, SNHS, and Book Club. Next year, I plan on being in
    the same clubs as I am in now.

• 7. What is your leadership experience, both in and out of MCA?
    In MCA, I currently serve as secretary of CLC. In addition, I have serve as a representative for
    the past two years. This year I also served as one of the heads of the fundraising committee,
    which is the committee that the treasurer is in charge of. I helped with the candy and
    candle/wrapping paper drive, which are two drives that the treasurer is in charge of. These drives
    are the responsibility of the treasurer, and I already have experience in these drives. Also I served
    as a retreat leader at Student Leader’s Retreat. Outside of MCA, I have served on my CYO’s
    board since freshman year. In 9th and 11th grade, I served as my grade’s representative, and in
    10th grade, I served as secretary. Furthermore, last summer I attended Catholic Leadership
    Institute, where I developed leadership skills such as strengthening my teamwork skills and
    organization of different events.

• 8. How have you consciously tried to develop yourself as a leader this past year?
    I have tried to develop myself as a leader this year by working with others and helping to
    organize group activities because I believe that these activities help develop communication
    skills, which are important for a leader to have. A leader needs to be able to communicate with
    others; thus, I believe working in group activities helps me develop communication skills. In
    group activities in classes, I try to play an active role by being the leader and helping to organize
    different group projects. I believe that an important part of being a leader is being able to listen
    to and work with others. Because of this belief, I work with others in my group to succeed in
    group activities because I believe that working in a group can be more productive than just
    working by yourself. In a group, you are able to work with other people to get a task done
    creatively and efficiently and also learn how to communicate efficiently with others.
    Communication is an important part of being a leader because a leader needs to be able to
    effectively communicate to others what needs to be done.

• 9. What is one flaw that might get in your way to serve on Executive Board to the best of
    your ability (academic course load, involvement in other clubs, after-school jobs, etc)?
    How will you consciously address this flaw to ensure you serve to the best of your
    ability?

One flaw that I have is that I sometimes things a little too much. I will correct this flaw by
    listening to other people’s advice more, so that I spend less time analyzing. I think that having
    other people’s opinions to rely on will help me correct this flaw because that will help me think
    about situations but not overthinking them. By listening more to people, I will address this flaw
    and will be able to serve to the best of my ability.

• 10. What is a time you served without receiving accolades? Be specific.
    Since the summer before 8th grade, I have served at St. Benilde’s Bible Camp. I am in charge of
    making the slideshow of all of the campers and the activities they do that is shown at the end of
    the week to all the campers and their parents. I am in charge of taking all of the pictures and
    putting together an Imovie, with pictures and music, for all the campers and parents to see. This
    project requires a lot of work for the whole week in order to make the project the best it can be. I
    spend a lot of time taking pictures, organizing the pictures by groups and activities, and then
    putting together the slideshow and making sure everyone is in it. Many people do not know that I
    am the one making this slideshow and the hard work I put into it; however, I do not mind that I
    do not receive any accolades because I am happy at the end of the week when I see all the happy
    faces of the campers as they see themselves in the slideshow and they sing along to the music
    that plays in the slideshow.

• 11. How are you an effective time manager, and what is your strategy for time management?
    Be specific.

I am an effective time manger because I write down everything that needs to be done. This
    strategy helps me know what I need to do. After I write everything down, I create a schedule of
    when I am going to do each task. I make sure I prioritize my schedule and do things that are due
    the soonest first. I make sure I do everything before the due date and that everything is done in
    an efficient manner. I am also an effective time manager because being aware of the task before
    me help me avoid procrastinating because I have a schedule to follow. Time management is
    important to me because organizing my time helps me make sure everything gets done.

• 12. How do you model kindness and gratefulness to your administrators, teachers, and peers?
    Give specific examples.

I model kindness and gratefulness to my administrators and teachers by appreciating everything
    they do for me. I recognize that they do a lot of work for me and for all the other students.

Teachers and administrators work hard in order to help us achieve. One way to show kindness to
    my teachers is by asking how their weekend was. I think that this action is important because
    teachers are people too who have lives outside of school. I think it is important to show teachers
    that you care about them and asking them how their weekend was is my way of doing that. I also
    make an effort to tell a teacher hello and goodbye before and after class because I think it is
    important to do that, so that they feel recognized as a person and not just someone there to teach
    students. Teachers and administrators sacrifice their time us, so I think it is important to
    recognize them for doing this. I am kind to my peers and always try to help them with anything
    they need. My peers are always there when I need them, so I make an effort to be there when
    they need me. I’m very grateful to have my friends close by because they are always there and I
    know I can talk to them whenever I need someone. I show my gratefulness to them by asking
    them how their day is going and how they are doing. To me, this action is important because
    people like to be recognized and made to feel important.