Candidate for Artist Chairlady: Michaela Olsen

• What about Mount Carmel inspires you to be a leader? How do you think you could serve the
    needs of this school specifically?

My inspiration for becoming a leader comes from my want to genuinely make the school
    a better place and more comfortable for people to express their opinions. Being a leader
    not only requires the ability to take part in group activity, but it also requires the ability to
    inspire others. I want to be able to make other people look at their environment
    and feel comfortable enough to be able to express their own ideas. I can
    specifically serve the needs of Mount Carmel by spreading my love for leadership
    and my ability to inspire others through artwork. My entire life has reloved
    artwork and it is a special ability to create artwork that an leave people in awe and
    inspire them, too.

• What is one quality that sets you apart as a leader? Name one concrete way that you can see
    yourself using this quality in your desired position?

A significant quality that sets me apart as a leader would be my innovation and ability to
    work well with others.. As an Student Council Artist, this year we mainly did big jobs
    such as banners; they were not typically hard to do, but banners took time, effort, and
    collaboration. My ability to work well with others allows me to delegate tasks as needed
    and create a space that allows me and peers to work comfortably.

• In what specific area of leadership would you like to grow this year? How would service on
    MCA’s Student Government help you grow in that area?

This incoming school year I would like to grow in the ability to talk and work with big
    groups of people. Most of the time when leading, I usually conduct small group projects
    like in class. In a bigger spectrum, I see myself conducting bigger groups and more
    important projects to help continue the growing spirit at Mount Carmel. As a Student
    Government officer, I would grow in the ability of public speaking to help further lead
    bigger groups in the club such as the Student Council Artists.

• What are some accolades you have received or your service, both in and out of Mount Carmel? For example, have you ever earned an outstanding member pin? Have you ever been
    distinguished in any way for work you have done?

I have never received a formal accolade for my artwork, but I consider being able to
    display some of my work in art shows or around the school is a personal accolade for me.
    I really enjoy being able to create a piece of art that people are inspired or drawn to. To
    me, art is a greater form of expression; and the ability to create a piece of art that people
    are inspired or drawn to is, in its own way, a personal reward. On the other hand, I
    received an outstanding member pin for my work in MCCADD during my sophomore
    year.

• How do you act as a faith leader, both in and out of Mount Carmel?
    Both in and out of Mount Carmel, I try my best to grow in character through my faith in
    God. In in Mount Carmel, I take opportunities like Come Lord Jesus and retreat to aid in
    my development in faith. Being able to be comfortable with a conversation about
    my faith is a very important quality to have. Come Lord Jesus and retreat gives
    me that comfortability factor to grow as a faith leader in my school and
    community. Outside of Mount Carmel, I am more of a faith leader through my
    actions and words. I try my hardest to treat everyone with the same likeness and
    kindness as I would want to be treated.

• What other clubs are you in? What other clubs do you plan to join next year?
    This year I actively spent my time participating in Key Club and Student Council. Next
    year, I plan to join National Art Honors Society and continue my work with Key Club
    and Student Council.

• What is your leadership experience, both in and out of MCA?
    My leadership experience has prospered over the years through different events in and
    out of Mount Carmel. This past year, I participated in Student Council Leader’s Retreat;
    it allowed me to grow stronger as a leader and learn how to delegate tasks to my peers to
    create the best possible solution. I also tend to lead more through projects and design
    cycles in my classes. I have learned over time that it very beneficial to grow as a leader
    through the different ideas from those around you. Out of Mount Carmel, I have a
    different leadership experience. Rather than it being scholarly based, I lead more by
    example for the younger generation in my family.

• How have you consciously tried to develop yourself as a leader this past year?
    To develop myself as a leader, this past year I made the effort to accept and incorporate
    the ideas of my classmates through different projects we had to complete through the
    year. Over time, I have realized that the more input and cooperation from other people the
    better the outcome. I developed my leadership skills through Student Leader’s Retreat
    along with other small projects throughout my time on Student Council. Developing
    myself as a leader helped me make a conscientious effort to be a better person during my
    last year at Mount Carmel.

• What is one flaw that might get in your way to serve on Executive Board to the best of your ability
    (academic course load, involvement in other clubs, after-school jobs, etc.)? How will you
    consciously address this flaw to ensure you serve to the best of your ability?

One problem I have that could intervene with my ability to serve on Executive Board is
    my will to get too involved. Often in projects I tend to be a perfectionist and often
    overcompensate for the work load I can handle. I love to push myself to my fullest
    abilities, but sometimes I push myself further than I can handle. This year I want to be able to take a reasonable load of work, but still account to an outcome that would show
    my ability and those of my peers.

• When is a time that you served without receiving accolades? Be specific.
    Most of the time when I don’t receive accolades it is through my artwork. Before this
    year, most of the people I am friends with did not recognize what I did on Student
    Council as an artist or did not even know it was a position. Most of the artwork I have
    done around the school people notice, but do not necessarily know where it comes from
    or who did it. Not getting accreditation for my artwork is not something that bothers me
    because I do what I do because I enjoy it, and I love to have the ability to make people
    smile through the different forms of art I can bring to the table.

• How are you an effective time manager, and what is your strategy for time management? Be
    specific.

Personally, I think the key to manage my time wisely is to plan out the different tasks you
    have to accomplish and allow myself the proper time to complete the task. Being able to
    effectively complete tasks at a reasonable time has never been my strong suit, but over
    the past year I’ve grown in the ability to delegate tasks by the amount of time it should
    take me to complete it. I have also tried my best to complete some tasks, like homework,
    the day they are assigned or as soon as I get the opportunity to finish them; this leaves me
    more time to complete other tasks or even take time to myself.

• How do you model kindness and gratefulness to your administrators, teachers, and peers? Give
    specific examples.

Throughout my time at Mount Carmel, I pride myself with the ability to put a smile on
    people’s faces because it warms my heart to be able to see people enjoying their day even
    though they would most likely be stressed out with the difficult tasks they are doing. I
    have always used my humour to the best of my abilities to be able to brighten up the day
    of my peers and even my teachers. I genuinely think that small humour is one of the best
    ways to model kindness and show appreciation for your administrators, teachers, and
    peers because it brings people together in a way that cannot be explained.