Echoes of Carmel

Throw Us Something, Mister! What to Do this Mardi Gras

Madison Leze

It’s Mardi Gras season and you have all these beads and doubloons. Do you have no clue what to do with them? Well, here are some ideas on what to do during and after this season.

1. Recycle. Instead of throwing away these beads, you can go green and recycle them. Not only are you getting rid of all those beads, but you are also helping the environment.

2. Donate. There are plenty of organizations that accept your beads and resell/recycle them for a very good cause! One is the ARC of Greater New Orleans, which provides services and employment for adults and children with intellectual disabilities. Donate your beads to them and they can recycle them for a good cause! More information on how to donate your beads to ARC is on their webpage here.

3. Arts and Crafts. Will you be sitting at home, bored, with nothing to do but binge watch Netflix all day? Well, unplug from technology, and make some arts and crafts with the beads! You can make crafts as simple as a night light to as difficult as a mosaic.

3. Send Mardi Gras Care Packages. Be kind and share the love? Do you have a relative or friend who missed Mardi Gras, or know someone who lives out of town? Well, you can cheer them up and spread New Orleans-style happiness by sending them a Mardi Gras care package. This gift may consist of beads, cups, doubloons, and maybe even a king cake!

4. Food. Yes, it is a real thing to use beads to get free food, and yes, getting free food may seem more exciting than the actual parades. When you give twelve pounds of beads to Krispy Kreme, then you receive a dozen donuts!

5. Make Money. If you are looking for ways to make money, but do not feel like working, selling what you catch at Mardi Gras is a perfect idea. In fact, on Ebay they have some Muses shoes selling at fifty dollars per piece, or you can make crafts with beads and sell them too.

6. Toys. Is your pet’s chew toy old, worn out, and has threads coming out of it? Well, instead of going out to buy a new one, use the stuffed animals you caught. Not only are they the perfect chew toy, but they are free!

About the Writer
Madison Leze, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Madison Leze, and this is my second year of writing for the Echoes newspaper. I am currently a sophomore at Mount Carmel Academy. Outside...