Echoes of Carmel

A King Cake Baking Adventure

Now that Christmas is over, Mardi Gras is right around the corner. During Mardi Gras there are parades, parties, balls,

Is it as good as it looks on the box?

and lots of food, including king cake; some would say Mardi Gras is not complete without a king cake! Here in New Orleans you can buy a king cake in almost every store, but have you ever made one? I thought it would be fun to bake my own king cake this year so I bought this king cake mix from my local Winn-Dixie. The packaging of Mam Papaul’s king cake mix says it’s “certified” as a product of Louisiana. The real question is whether or not it captures the true flavor of a New Orleans Mardi Gras!

Inside the box.

The mix itself seemed pretty complete. Inside the box it included the dough, yeast, praline filling, glaze, sprinkles, and a big bag to mix the dough in.

Once I got everything out and ready, I just followed the directions on the back of the box; it was definitely easy to follow. The first thing that it said to do was to put the dough and yeast into the provided bag and shake it up. After that, it instructed to add water and butter and shake the whole mixture up in the bag.

After I mixed everything completely, it said to place the dough in a bowl in a warm place. I turned the oven on and left the dough on top of it. I left it in the bowl for 45 minutes for it double in size. 

We’re king cake “aficionadoughs.”

After the dough got bigger, I floured my countertop and rolled out the dough. Once it was all rolled out, I put the praline filling on the dough and shaped it into the form of a king cake.

Does a store-bought cake “overshadough” this?

I then baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. While it was was baking, I made the glaze. It was pretty simple; all I had to do was take the glaze mix that was provided and add water to it.

I let it cool off for about 10 minutes before adding the glaze.

The final product.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the final product. Overall, I would not recommend making this. Even though it was a fun experience, it did not taste anything like a king cake! This mix cost me eight dollars, which is close to the same price of a already-made king cake that tastes way better. My advice? Stick to buying your favorites!