Echoes of Carmel

From Dreamer to Doer: Abbigail Alonzo on the Path to NFL Reporting

From a Twitter biography to a dream

On January 1, 2017, I created what I consider to be my most meaningful achievement – alonzosports.com; in fact, it is all because of a direct message on Twitter from Derrius Guice, running back for LSU.

Screenshot of Abby Alonzo’s masterpiece, her own sports reporting website

After reading the words “future NFL sideline reporter” in my Twitter biography, Derrius opened up a door that would lead me down a road full of opportunities. He offered for me to interview him because of my career aspirations. Of course, I was caught off-guard, but I accepted his offer. This small act of generosity from a stranger jump-started what would be my greatest achievement thus far.

After the interview, I created a website that would become home to multiple interviews; along with Derrius, I have interviewed seven additional athletes including Cole Freeman, Buddy Hield, and Deuce McAllister.

Through the creation of this website, I have not only landed an internship in the New Orleans Saints Press Box, but I have learned much more. I have learned the importance of communication, networking, and stepping outside of my comfort zone.

As I mentioned above, I aspire to be an NFL sideline reporter. I plan to either attend Louisiana State University or the University of Alabama to study broadcast journalism. This website has provided me with experience that not many people have, and I am more than excited to be able to learn more about the profession.

Every kid has a dream, and although we all hope our dreams take flight, I never imagined mine would do so this early in my life. I have a long way to go, no doubt, but this small step served as huge encouragement to pursue my dream.

It is not a very practical dream – to become a famous NFL reporter – but with the encouragement and support of others, it is much easier to pursue. I have worked extremely hard to create something that shows my dedication, perseverance, and passion, and I believe I have achieved that.

More than the business aspects I have learned through this opportunity and achievement, I have learned the importance of helping others and dreaming big.  My goal, because of this achievement, is to inspire others; I want to be able to lend that helping hand to other aspiring kids just like Derrius did for me. Reaching out to others to help in any way may seem like a small act of kindness but can make all the difference in the world to that person.

My advice to those kids out there who have been told that their dream is not realistic is to keep dreaming. There is always going to be someone or something trying to hold you back from your goal, but there is always a way. With confidence and heart, a person can achieve anything. Henry Ford said it best: “Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right.” Ultimately, don’t stop dreaming.

About the Writer
Abbigail Alonzo, Editor in Chief

Abby Alonzo is the Editor in Chief of EchoesShe believes that keeping her peers informed about all aspects of both school and non-school life is an important part of encouraging the individual growth of each student. Abby has landed the title of MCA’s High School Columnist for the Times-Picayune and has garnered a position covering the New Orleans Saints and New Orleans Pelicans for PlayMakers MX, a sports media outlet based in Monterrey, Mexico. She hopes her dedication to, hard work for, and leadership of Echoes will assist her in pursuing her dream to become an NFL Sideline Reporter.