Accepted and Anxious

Czarlyn Ria Trinidad, Staff Member

Making decisions is hard, and making lifelong decisions is even harder. Choosing a college to attend is one of the most difficult decisions that teenagers have to face. On top of the stress of classes, rocky relationships, and part-time jobs, more stress is added to the lives of many teenagers trying to choose one college out of the hundreds in the United States.

With the deadline to accept an offer of admission soon approaching, some students are still struggling to make their final decision that will direct the course of their lives.

The whole college deciding process isn’t easy. Students are encouraged to start applying as soon as applications are available in August-October. There are many factors that go into where a student chooses to apply such as location, distance, and size. Distance is an important factor for students who want to explore and venture to other states or those who want to stay close to home.

“I’m looking for a closer college because it would be more convenient,” senior Madeline Gomila says.

The majors available are also a factor in the college process.

“I need a college that will offer a good biology program to aid me with pursuing a career as a veterinarian,” senior Kristen St. Cyr.

Students, after finding colleges that match the criteria they set, apply to those colleges. The number of applications sent per student ranges from 1 to as much as 30. Both Gomila and St. Cyr applied to 6 colleges, which falls in range of the average (6-8).

After sending in applications, students can relax. The work is then up to the colleges to decide whether or not to accept the students.

Letters of admission get sent out as soon as November and can continue throughout April. Receiving letters of admission early can help students in their decision of where they want to go.

But even after acceptances are received, students can still face difficulty in making their decision. Questions such as “which school gives a better scholarship?” or “which school offers a better program?” are thrown around as an attempt to help solidify a final choice.

“The college search process has been hard because I don’t want to make the worst decision of my life,” senior Madeline Gomila says.

“Because of all my options, I’m struggling to choose the right college; you have certain expectations put on you by family and friends which makes the process even harder,” senior Kristen St. Cyr says.

As extensive as the college process is, hopefully, all the students making their final decision feel some relief after accepting their admission.