A Celebration of Generations

Kathryn Burke, Staff Member

Each year Mount Camel holds its annual Grandparents’ Day Mass which allows for Mount Carmel students to celebrate the gift of family and the special relationship shared between a grandparent and grandchild. At this event, students and their grandparents are able to recall the wisdom of their ancestors that have been passed down and share a presence of love.

With Sister Camille Anne opening the Mass with a speech, she discussed the importance of grandparents and how they affect the student’s life.

“In a family, grandparents are the center with their children and grandchildren absorbing the wisdom of God and relationships. They are able to help with the current immoral society that we live in. Serve as an example to your grandchildren to show the greatness in that we are all called to serve,” said Sister Camille Anne.

To end her speech, Sister Camille Anne finished with a totem pole analogy. On a totem pole are stacked totems with carved symbols or pictures that tell a story. Similarly, Sister explained that there is not one insignificant totem no matter where it is located on the totem pole. Like grandparents, it does not matter their location only that they are vital to their family’s story.

For the Gospel reading, the Rev. John Dominic Sims read the story of Zebedee and her two sons found in Matthew 20: 17-28. This story tells of a mother, Zebedee who approached Jesus with her two sons to ask Him if her two sons can sit on either side of Jesus. Jesus recognizes that she does not know what she is asking for and explains, “My chalice you will indeed drink, but to sit at my right and at my left, this is not mine to give but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

Father John Dominic discussed in his homily that when it comes to grandchildren, grandparents get bold in what they ask of God; this is similar to what Zebedee was asking of Jesus in regards to her sons. Although, as Jesus later responded, “Whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave.” As Jesus came to serve in the purpose of our salvation, grandparents serve their grandchildren as examples for them to live by and as a source of encouragement.

To end the Grandparents’ Day Mass, Principal Beth Ann Simno gave the final speech. In her speech she discussed the differences between generations and called everyone to get rid of communication through technology and to visit one another personally.

“I know you are aware of the difficulties of raising a child. It’s a different world that evolves this [the way a child is raised]. Look to the right and left of you because you never know when you will be called back. So don’t rely on social media to communicate. Talk face-to-face. It’s the world we live in a quick, fast pace that we must remind them [the students] to slow down, ” said Ms. Simno.

After the Mass ended, there was a reception with sweets and drinks. Observing grandparents and their grandchildren, the room was filled with conversation and laughter.

“I think it was a very nice and enjoyable afternoon with some of my favorite people in the entire world,” commented sophomore Katie Kitchen’s grandparents.

With Grandparents’ Day Mass, students are able to spend valuable time with their grandparents while celebrating their religion, making it a lovely tradition for grandparents and their grandchildren.