Galentine’s Day: the Not so National National Holiday

Mariah Gale, Staff Member

Many students find themselves without a significant other on the pink heart-infested holiday known as Valentine’s Day. Our generation of girls are no longer concerned with finding a boy to complete them because they know that they are whole by themselves, and they are celebrating their single status with an unofficial holiday. Galentine’s Day.

Galentine’s Day is the celebration between friends that occurs the day before Valentine’s Day. Students were asked to share their experiences with the lesser known holiday.

MCA junior Anna Szegfu recently celebrated with her friends.

“I like to eat and watch romance movies with my friends. I buy them candy or bake them something for it,” said Szegfu. “To me, Galentine’s Day is a day for really good friends to get together and celebrate your deep friendship with each other while forgetting the pressures of dating. ”

She isn’t the only one. Freshman Samantha Schouest looks forward to celebrating Galentine’s Day.

“I think it is a good way to express your love for your friends,” said Schouest. “And for other people to be able to understand that love.”

Indeed, Galentine’s Day is all about friendships and the intense bonds formed with your non-romantic life partners, but what about the guys? They are not forgotten. The boys are invited to celebrate Galentine’s Day as well, as long as they bring candy and plan to watch cheesy romcoms with their gal pals.

“I think it’s a great holiday for all of us. We get to have fun and be together without having to be together-together,” said Brother Martin sophomore Jake Duhé.